FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific
Old Sep 15, 2020, 4:51 am
Reply1984

Originally Posted by brunos
@REPly 1984, I have little disagreement with the points you raised.
I would not to be in the shoes of any government today.

But essential travel must be allowed even if unpopular among many risk-averse HongKongers..
hina is a special arrangement for HK and for obvious reasons. To some extent that is also the case with Malaysia for Singapore. Singapore is working hard to establish green lanes for "essential travel" with China and Brunei and is working hard with 11 other countries. No more quarantine for those business pax, just quite strict surveillance.
I just hope that HK implement quickly such travel links, rather than blabla about it. This is not to save the HK tourism industry, but to save the HK international economic role.
Frankly, I am now quite pessimistic about CX survival with all its widebodies and no traffic for the foreseeable future.
I agree that we need to reopen for essential traveling, but I am just very pessimistic about travel bubble before we have vaccines.

The concept of travel bubble was brought by Australia-New Zealand. Then Thailand tried to open their border to some selected countries. Hong Kong also reached out to find suitable partners. However, is there any meaningful travel bubble operating currently? Only the Mainland China-Macau one. And don't forget Macau never had unlinked local cases(only imported cases and their close contacts). I believe we may face a looooooooooooooong way before Hong Kong government can build up travel bubble (at least for business travelers) with any one of those 11 countries, and maybe at that time, we already get vaccines.