FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Zealand - Accor Hotels booked prior to close down - refund?
Old Sep 15, 2020, 1:34 am
Cupart

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Quick UPDATE:

Sent each of the hotels a note with a refund request...

1) Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour: Got a reply that no refund will be issued but rather a credit that expires end of 2021... So new owners by the sound of it as they are reopening October 8th 2020... Bonjour Mr. Cupart,

Thank you for your email and choosing Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour for your visit to New Zealand.

We are delighted to inform you Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour will reopen on 8 October 2020 with a refreshed look and more boutique offering.

La Maree’ restaurant will be offering a refined menu combining the best of French Mastery with local seafood produce.

Sabrage Bar will offer the finest champagnes & fine wines paired with premium finger food and more substantial bites. Feel free to lounge in front of the snug fireplace or enjoy the outdoor promenade with a cocktail and live entertainment on Fridays.

Our new Club Sofitel offers an exclusive retreat with the perfect space to relax, catch up on work, or meet with colleagues.

With the recent change in hotel ownership, we are however currently unable to process any refunds.
Your reservation for October has been cancelled as requested with cancellation no. XXXXXX and the already paid deposit of NZD$X,XXX.00 has been placed into credit and can be used for another booking until the end of next year 2021.
We do hope to welcome you next year and will reach out for your travel plans once we receive an update on the border restrictions for New Zealand.

We hope this arrangement is agreeable to you.

Not what I asked for BUT I do understand where the hotel come from, as the rate I booked was indeed un-refundable but it was based on a different world at the time. Again, it's not the hotels fault NZ is in lockdown and that I cannot enter the country. A little goodwill had been nice though, and we would have chosen the same hotel (if after 2021) but now, not so sure...

2) Novotel Wellington: Full refund issued w/o any fuss. Will take up to 6 weeks for a refund. The mail came from The Accor Wellington Reservations Hub and not the hotel directly. Will w/o doubt book here when (and if) we ever get to visit NZ

3) Grand Windsor Auckland: No reply as of today's date. Will give them a week or so to get back. / can go either way...

So, with the whole credit thing, I gather there is no way I can get the credit card company to do any thing and what about my travel insurance? I have never been in this situation before tbh...