Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

New Zealand - Accor Hotels booked prior to close down - refund?

Old Sep 12, 20, 7:38 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Kulta (OW Sapphire), FB, SBB GA, Bonvoy Gold, ACCOR, Coop card, Aligro Card, Porsche Club Suisse

We were supposed to head off for a three week vacation to NZ now in October and booked a few none-refundable stay overs in:

Auckland (Sofitel 3 nights), 08-10.10.20
Wellington (Novotel 3 nights) 17-20.10.20 and again in
Auckland (Grand Windsor 2 nights) 20-22.10.20

CX, the carrier we had booked which was going to take us to AKL, refunded us within 3 days after I contacted them (part refundable tickets in J but got the full amount back) and I was wondering what is the best way here?

Short of the long, we can physically not enter the country, and the reservations/payments were done end of Feb 2020 before the world came to a lock down and as the total prepaid comes to about NZD 3'200 (EUR 1'800) I'd really want to get my cash back...

Our planned stay in Laos earlier this year (March/April) refused to give us a refund but a 6 month credit which was no good to us, Novotel at BKK gave us an instant refund so it seems to be hit or miss...

Any pointers (before I grab the phone which I'd prefer not to do)...
Old Sep 12, 20, 7:55 am

I believe the current Accor Corona policy (handing out vouchers) only extends to the end of September. So I think there is no group wide policy in place to get a refund.

The best course of action is probably to contact the individual hotels to see if they are willing to work with you.This worked for my New-Zealand Accor hotel stays (Grand-Mercure Auckland and Ibis Wellington).

If this doesn't work you can look for other ways to try and get a refund.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Sep 12, 20, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cupart View Post
We were supposed to head off for a three week vacation to NZ now in October and booked a few none-refundable stay overs in:
Auckland (Sofitel 3 nights), 08-10.10.20
Wellington (Novotel 3 nights) 17-20.10.20 and again in
Auckland (Grand Windsor 2 nights) 20-22.10.20
Compared to the rest of the world NZ is relatively free of Covid-19
Are these hotels taking new bookings for your dates?
Some hotels are being used for (Government) 14 day isolation by people arriving. But other hotels may be open. In a months time may be different.
https://www.miq.govt.nz/being-in-man...ity-locations/
Old Sep 12, 20, 9:13 am

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
1) Reach out individually to the hotels, explain your travel situation, ask for refund. ( or voucher - or move dates or even Accor Points ?)
2) How did you pay ? you may have to ask your Card provider to step in.
3) The Accor cancelation policy may suffer a further irritation, ( don't hold breath on this - they think its all over ....it is not )
4) good luck, and stay safe.
Old Sep 12, 20, 2:33 pm

Programs: LH-SEN
I got refunds from 5 NZ Accor hotels back in April. All responded within a couple of days to email requests although only one, Auckland Sofitel, matches your list. Short of contacting them, I'm not sure what you can expect but my experience suggests you may be pleasantly surprised if you do.
Old Sep 12, 20, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Whether a refund is due is, in the first instance, a matter of your rate rules. In the second instance, whether the property will refund or extend the validity of the booking or do nothing is a matter of customer service. Your card issuer may help with the first instance, but can't with the second.

If you can't get a refund, take a careful look at your travel insurance.
Old Sep 12, 20, 8:19 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, Accor+ Diamond
The Auckland SO Sofitel at least should refund you because they're being used as a managed isolation and quarantine facility and so can't accommodate regular customers. If you meant the Auckland Sofitel viaduct, they're currently closed, and so should also refund.
Cupart likes this.
Old Sep 12, 20, 11:11 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF WP, VS Gold, IHG RA, A Club Plat.
Originally Posted by Beckett66 View Post
The Auckland SO Sofitel at least should refund you because they're being used as a managed isolation and quarantine facility and so can't accommodate regular customers. If you meant the Auckland Sofitel viaduct, they're currently closed, and so should also refund.
I think you may struggle to get a refund from the Sofitel Viaduct considering the company that took the money is liquidated, and a seperate legal entity now runs management
Old Sep 12, 20, 11:24 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I had a few non refundable stays and they offered a refund with no questions. NZ based however
Cupart likes this.
Old Sep 15, 20, 2:34 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Kulta (OW Sapphire), FB, SBB GA, Bonvoy Gold, ACCOR, Coop card, Aligro Card, Porsche Club Suisse
Quick UPDATE:

Sent each of the hotels a note with a refund request...

1) Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour: Got a reply that no refund will be issued but rather a credit that expires end of 2021... So new owners by the sound of it as they are reopening October 8th 2020... Bonjour Mr. Cupart,

Thank you for your email and choosing Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour for your visit to New Zealand.

We are delighted to inform you Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour will reopen on 8 October 2020 with a refreshed look and more boutique offering.

La Maree’ restaurant will be offering a refined menu combining the best of French Mastery with local seafood produce.

Sabrage Bar will offer the finest champagnes & fine wines paired with premium finger food and more substantial bites. Feel free to lounge in front of the snug fireplace or enjoy the outdoor promenade with a cocktail and live entertainment on Fridays.

Our new Club Sofitel offers an exclusive retreat with the perfect space to relax, catch up on work, or meet with colleagues.

With the recent change in hotel ownership, we are however currently unable to process any refunds.
Your reservation for October has been cancelled as requested with cancellation no. XXXXXX and the already paid deposit of NZD$X,XXX.00 has been placed into credit and can be used for another booking until the end of next year 2021.
We do hope to welcome you next year and will reach out for your travel plans once we receive an update on the border restrictions for New Zealand.

We hope this arrangement is agreeable to you.

Not what I asked for BUT I do understand where the hotel come from, as the rate I booked was indeed un-refundable but it was based on a different world at the time. Again, it's not the hotels fault NZ is in lockdown and that I cannot enter the country. A little goodwill had been nice though, and we would have chosen the same hotel (if after 2021) but now, not so sure...

2) Novotel Wellington: Full refund issued w/o any fuss. Will take up to 6 weeks for a refund. The mail came from The Accor Wellington Reservations Hub and not the hotel directly. Will w/o doubt book here when (and if) we ever get to visit NZ

3) Grand Windsor Auckland: No reply as of today's date. Will give them a week or so to get back. / can go either way...

So, with the whole credit thing, I gather there is no way I can get the credit card company to do any thing and what about my travel insurance? I have never been in this situation before tbh...
Old Sep 15, 20, 3:41 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor & IHG Plat; Meliá & HH & Marriott & Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Cupart View Post
Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour: Got a reply that no refund will be issued but rather a credit that expires end of 2021. [...]
That seems very fair and generous -- I'm not sure why you appear to regard it as not demonstrating sufficient goodwill (or maybe I've misunderstood you).

Many of us have travel plans that are not just going to be delayed a little -- some will be delayed a lot, some won't happen at all. That's especially true for big leisure trips to the other side of the globe. So when a hotel has been very generous and given me a refund on a non-refundable rate it makes me happy and my life simpler -- and puts those properties at the top of my "book again if possible" list. But a credit for a future stay up to 15 months away would come a very close second.
CanadaDH likes this.
Old Sep 15, 20, 5:01 am

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
So some positive news. Well done.

We really do need an Accor representative on this forum, others are back ( Hilton etc ) but not Accor..... Missing you AMY. Hope you are safe and well.

Why did the Credit Card refuse to help. Section 75 ? If the hotel gives a voucher can that not be interpreted as unable to supply goods and services ? or can it be redeemed by others ?

Just putting some 2c comments out there.

Think you have done well under the circumstances. Stay Safe.
Old Sep 15, 20, 5:12 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hotel_user View Post
Why did the Credit Card refuse to help. Section 75 ? If the hotel gives a voucher can that not be interpreted as unable to supply goods and services ? or can it be redeemed by others ?

Just putting some 2c comments out there.

Think you have done well under the circumstances. Stay Safe.

I have not "gotten" to the Credit Card (or Travel Insurance) refund quite yet as I'm very unsure on how to handle it, as in this case of a credit has been issued with an expiry date. I could in such theory use the credit and still get a refund from the CC (which I seriously would never dream of doing) so I guess the best would have the hotel just canceling the whole thing w/o giving a refund (if it makes sense). I still do not see us going to NZ anytime soon tbh (including in 2021) so the credit is lost...

Same would go for the travel insurance... I could claim back on the travel insurance but as I got a credit I guess they would also be able to reject the claim... I guess I could wait until end of 2021 when the credit expires but that's 15 months from now and the insurance would have expired by then...

Any ideas of how to move on from here?
Old Sep 18, 20, 12:13 am

The closures of borders and pandemic constitute force majeure, therefore you can cancel the contract and are entitled to restitution (aka. refund) despite the regular non-refundablility provisions. Contact your credit card issuer for a chargeback based on this or a lawyer for more clarification
Cupart likes this.
Old Oct 20, 20, 9:12 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

UPDATE:

1) Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour: No Refund. Credit only
2) Novotel Wellington: Full refund issued w/o any fuss. Was told 6 weeks for refund. Refund received after 21 days.
3) Grand Windsor Auckland: Full refund w/o any fuss. Was told 7-10 working days. Refund received after 24 hours.

Apparently Grand Windsor Auckland never received the initial mail I sent to the address advertised on their web site but reacted quickly to the "welcome" mail posted to our planned stay.

Top notch GW Auckland...
Goldorak likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: