FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First Extended Tour of Duty since the C19 Scare
Old Sep 10, 2020, 4:23 am
Loose Cannon

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Inland Empire to Capital City; First Time Flying Since the C19 Scare

Tour of Duty 21st July 2020 to 22nd August 2020
Part I: 21st July to 23rd July

I got transport to Moreno Valley, California in Riverside County east of the city of Riverside in an area popularly known as the Inland Empire. I was Road Tested and did some Paperwork and was issued Credentials and was Dispatched on my first Trip with the new company. I loaded my gear into the truck and did my pre trip safety inspection and got started.

Trip: Moreno Valley, CA to Sacramento, CA 453 paid miles
Make: 2020 International
Model: Box Truck
Transmission: Automatic
Governed Speed: 65mph
Route: Interstate 215 to Interstate 15 to US395 to California 58 to California 99 to US50 to Interstate 5 to Interstate 80
Highest Elevation: 4,190 feet at Cajon Summit Interstate 15 8 miles south of Hesperia, CA
Highest diesel price USA: 3.339$ per gallon at Pilot Hesperia, CA
Lowest diesel price USA: 3.099$ per gallon at Pilot Madera, CA

I stopped at the nearest filling station to take on fuel as the fuel level was very low. Afterward I got caught in some traffic congestion and I found a place on the north side of San Bernardino to stop for a compulsory 30 minute break to stay legal on my hours of service. Afterward I headed up the Cajon Pass and stopped in Hesperia where I topped up the fuel tank. I burned up some time looking for viable lodging at places where there was suitable truck parking before I proceeded. I ended up spending my first time away from home since March in Bakersfield, CA.

The next day during my pre trip safety inspection I found a bolt or screw in the passenger side outside rear tyre. I was able to take it out and determined that there was no threat of air loss but there was a mark that visible if one was to look hard enough so I reported it to Dispatch and sent in pictures. It took some time to get a hold of Dispatch to make the report. I stopped in Tulare to take on Diesel Exhaust Fluid then I stopped in Traver where I had midday rations. I had a Tri Tip Sandwich from a food truck called "Napkins" which was parked across the street from Bravo Farms. I stopped in Madera to take on more fuel then later on I stopped at Love's in Ripon where I got evening rations take out from Arby's. I did not deliver but I spent the night in Sacramento, CA.

Thursday I finished my trip by making delivery in Sacramento, CA. There were no trips available in northern or central California so I accepted a dispatch from the other company I contract with. I booked an air ticket to Denver then I sought transport to SMF. Uber wanted to charge me more and I kept declining 3 times and I finally took Lyft to SMF.

I arrived at SMF and I checked in and checked my bags which weighed 47.0 and 31.5lbs. A new rule which came into effect earlier in the Spring allowed me to get TSA Precheck by entering the State Abbreviation and my Commercial Driving Licence Number since I have the Hazmat Endorsement and therefore I passed a Background Check and Threat Assessment. I had the person at the Desk enter that as a Known Traveller Number. I cleared Security with TSA Precheck so I did not have to choose whether or not to opt out. My Boot Bag got extra screening.

Southwest #2104 SMF-DEN B-737-700 Boarding Pass A44
Seat 23A Cruising Altitude 41,000 feet Estimated flying time 1:57, actual 1:54
Depart: Gate B19 Scheduled 16h45, actual 16h39 Taxi: 7 minutes
Arrive: Gate C23 Scheduled 20h05, actual 19h48 Taxi: 7 minutes
Reclaim checked bags <25 minutes after arrival; bags beat me to baggage reclaim.

We boarded by groups of ten and we boarded via jetway. Capacity controls were in effect and the load was light with the load 31/93 due to capacity controls. It was announced masks were required and were to be taken off when actually eating and drinking. Pushback was 6 minutes early and takeoff was to the south. We turned east. At 0:11 I saw Lake Tahoe through holes in the clouds below. Clouds totally blocked the view by 0:13. At 0:19 I got Snack Mix and a cup of water which was the modified service due to fear of C19. I actually like the Snack Mix better than just Pretzels though Pretzels were included in the Snack Mix. Clouds broke over Nevada. Cruise was announced and seatbelt sign went off at 0:29. I felt bumps and seatbelt sign went on at 1:09. Cabin was cleaned due to bumps over southeast Utah. I felt descent begin at 1:27 over southwest Colorado. Clouds blocked the view below. I felt bumps during descent. We went into the clouds and there were more bumps. We broke under the clouds crossed Interstate 25 at 1:48 and I saw the junction with C470 and E470. We crossed Interstate 70 at 1:52 and landed south to north. We arrived at gate 17 minutes early and we deplaned via jetway. It was mostly cloudy in Denver. This was my first time outside the state of California since March.

My bags awaited me when I arrived at baggage reclaim and I had a wait for the Hotel Shuttle. There were no restaurants within walking distance open after I checked in so I went to a convenience store and purchased some food to eat for evening rations. I spent the night in Denver, CO.

My ride from Moreno Valley, California to Sacramento, California

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Sep 11, 2020 at 2:54 am