First Extended Tour of Duty since the C19 Scare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Extended Tour of Duty since the C19 Scare

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2020, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
First Extended Tour of Duty Since the C19 Scare

Tour of Duty: 21st July 2020 to 22nd August 2020
Overview

I flew one airline which was Southwest.
I flew 4 itineraries for a total of 5 flight segments and I flew a total of 2,448 miles according to flightmemory.com.
I was out for all or part of 33 days.
I drove a total of 6,435 miles and I took 7 trips that took me to or through a total of 18 states.
I was involved in a traffic collision.
I met one friend and made a new friend.
On one occasion I did some open air preaching.

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Sep 10, 2020 at 3:24 am
Old Sep 10, 2020, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Inland Empire to Capital City; First Time Flying Since the C19 Scare

Tour of Duty 21st July 2020 to 22nd August 2020
Part I: 21st July to 23rd July

I got transport to Moreno Valley, California in Riverside County east of the city of Riverside in an area popularly known as the Inland Empire. I was Road Tested and did some Paperwork and was issued Credentials and was Dispatched on my first Trip with the new company. I loaded my gear into the truck and did my pre trip safety inspection and got started.

Trip: Moreno Valley, CA to Sacramento, CA 453 paid miles
Make: 2020 International
Model: Box Truck
Transmission: Automatic
Governed Speed: 65mph
Route: Interstate 215 to Interstate 15 to US395 to California 58 to California 99 to US50 to Interstate 5 to Interstate 80
Highest Elevation: 4,190 feet at Cajon Summit Interstate 15 8 miles south of Hesperia, CA
Highest diesel price USA: 3.339$ per gallon at Pilot Hesperia, CA
Lowest diesel price USA: 3.099$ per gallon at Pilot Madera, CA

I stopped at the nearest filling station to take on fuel as the fuel level was very low. Afterward I got caught in some traffic congestion and I found a place on the north side of San Bernardino to stop for a compulsory 30 minute break to stay legal on my hours of service. Afterward I headed up the Cajon Pass and stopped in Hesperia where I topped up the fuel tank. I burned up some time looking for viable lodging at places where there was suitable truck parking before I proceeded. I ended up spending my first time away from home since March in Bakersfield, CA.

The next day during my pre trip safety inspection I found a bolt or screw in the passenger side outside rear tyre. I was able to take it out and determined that there was no threat of air loss but there was a mark that visible if one was to look hard enough so I reported it to Dispatch and sent in pictures. It took some time to get a hold of Dispatch to make the report. I stopped in Tulare to take on Diesel Exhaust Fluid then I stopped in Traver where I had midday rations. I had a Tri Tip Sandwich from a food truck called "Napkins" which was parked across the street from Bravo Farms. I stopped in Madera to take on more fuel then later on I stopped at Love's in Ripon where I got evening rations take out from Arby's. I did not deliver but I spent the night in Sacramento, CA.

Thursday I finished my trip by making delivery in Sacramento, CA. There were no trips available in northern or central California so I accepted a dispatch from the other company I contract with. I booked an air ticket to Denver then I sought transport to SMF. Uber wanted to charge me more and I kept declining 3 times and I finally took Lyft to SMF.

I arrived at SMF and I checked in and checked my bags which weighed 47.0 and 31.5lbs. A new rule which came into effect earlier in the Spring allowed me to get TSA Precheck by entering the State Abbreviation and my Commercial Driving Licence Number since I have the Hazmat Endorsement and therefore I passed a Background Check and Threat Assessment. I had the person at the Desk enter that as a Known Traveller Number. I cleared Security with TSA Precheck so I did not have to choose whether or not to opt out. My Boot Bag got extra screening.

Southwest #2104 SMF-DEN B-737-700 Boarding Pass A44
Seat 23A Cruising Altitude 41,000 feet Estimated flying time 1:57, actual 1:54
Depart: Gate B19 Scheduled 16h45, actual 16h39 Taxi: 7 minutes
Arrive: Gate C23 Scheduled 20h05, actual 19h48 Taxi: 7 minutes
Reclaim checked bags <25 minutes after arrival; bags beat me to baggage reclaim.

We boarded by groups of ten and we boarded via jetway. Capacity controls were in effect and the load was light with the load 31/93 due to capacity controls. It was announced masks were required and were to be taken off when actually eating and drinking. Pushback was 6 minutes early and takeoff was to the south. We turned east. At 0:11 I saw Lake Tahoe through holes in the clouds below. Clouds totally blocked the view by 0:13. At 0:19 I got Snack Mix and a cup of water which was the modified service due to fear of C19. I actually like the Snack Mix better than just Pretzels though Pretzels were included in the Snack Mix. Clouds broke over Nevada. Cruise was announced and seatbelt sign went off at 0:29. I felt bumps and seatbelt sign went on at 1:09. Cabin was cleaned due to bumps over southeast Utah. I felt descent begin at 1:27 over southwest Colorado. Clouds blocked the view below. I felt bumps during descent. We went into the clouds and there were more bumps. We broke under the clouds crossed Interstate 25 at 1:48 and I saw the junction with C470 and E470. We crossed Interstate 70 at 1:52 and landed south to north. We arrived at gate 17 minutes early and we deplaned via jetway. It was mostly cloudy in Denver. This was my first time outside the state of California since March.

My bags awaited me when I arrived at baggage reclaim and I had a wait for the Hotel Shuttle. There were no restaurants within walking distance open after I checked in so I went to a convenience store and purchased some food to eat for evening rations. I spent the night in Denver, CO.

My ride from Moreno Valley, California to Sacramento, California
lamphs and roadwarrier like this.

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Sep 11, 2020 at 2:54 am
Old Sep 11, 2020, 1:59 am
Original Poster

First Interstate Trip since C19; Mile High City to the Lone Star State

Part II: 24th July to 29th July

Friday 24th July I awoke in Denver. I made ready then got transport to the shipper. I checked in and was given the keys to the truck and was told where the truck was located. I loaded my gear then did pre trip safety inspection. I discovered a hole in the hood. I had no idea of the cause of the hole but I took pictures with my phone and reported it to Dispatch and made a notation on the Inspection Sheet/Bill of Lading and I also reported the damage to the shipper. Rain started to fall while I waited but I finally got word to proceed.

My ride from Denver, Colorado to Corsicana, Texas

Trip: Denver, CO to Corsicana, TX 832 paid miles
Make: 2020 Kenworth
Model: Cab and Chassis
Transmission: Automatic
Governed Speed: 75mph
Route: Interstate 70 to Interstate 225 to Interstate 25 to US87 to Interstate 40 to US287 to Interstate 35W to Interstate 20 to US287 to Interstate 45 to US287
Maximum elevation: 7,834 feet Raton Pass Interstate 25 at the CO/NM state line
Highest diesel price USA: 2.399$ per gallon at TA Commerce City, CO
Lowest diesel price USA: 2.359$ per gallon at Pilot Amarillo, TX

Due to the delay waiting for word whether or not to proceed due to the hood damage it was during the afternoon commute period by the time I left. I went to the TA in Commerce City, CO to take on fuel. I then got on the Interstate and headed east on the 70, south on the 225 and south on the 25. I made a pit stop at the Pilot in Monument, CO just north of Colorado Springs. I was not able to get dine in due to fear of the cooties. I stopped for the night in Pueblo. Restaurants were closed by the time I shut down so I phoned up Domino's Pizza for evening rations. I spent the night in Pueblo, CO.

Saturday I stopped and took some pictures of Pueblo, Colorado before proceeding south. I encountered heavy rain north of Walsenburg, CO so I stopped in Walsenburg to wait for the rain to let up. I had midday rations from A&W but it had to be carry out as dine-in was closed. I experienced light rain near Trinidad, CO. The New Mexico Port of Entry was closed so I motored on down to Raton where I stopped and took some pictures of that city before starting my run on US87. I made a brief stop to stretch out in Des Moines, NM. I saw lightning as I approached Clayton, NM. I got chicken tenders for evening rations in Clayton, NM. Again no dine-in due to fear of the cooties. I saw more lightning in Clayton, NM but the storm was to the south. I pulled in to Dumas, TX late and was glad to see that masks were not required at the convenience store in that city.I spent the night in Dumas, TX.

Sunday I had a late start especially due to the time change when entering Texas from New Mexico. The weather was fair with highs in the 90'sF. I took on fuel at Pilot in Amarillo, TX and found the dine-in at McDonald's was closed. I headed south on US287. I made it to Decatur, TX where I spent the night.

Monday I phoned up the receiver and found out they closed early so I would be unable to make delivery that day as I had hoped. I learned the receiver closed at 15h00 and stopped receiving at 14h00. There was some traffic in Ft. Worth. I had late midday rations at Steak n Shake in Ennis, TX. I had late evening rations at Denny's and I spent the night in Corsicana, TX.

Tuesday I drove to the receiver to make delivery. I had to wait along with some other drivers then I though the truck would be rejected due to the hood damage. There was a heavy rain while I waited for an answer. Finally I was told the receiver would accept delivery so delivery was completed. After a wait I got a ride to DAL. En route I learned that I needed to go to Kansas City to take care of some company business as there was a merger or a takeover involving parent companies and among other things, I had to get a new fuel card to be used in August as well as be brought up to speed what else the merger/takeover might entail. There was some rain en route to DAL.

I arrived at DAL and booked my air ticket to MCI. I checked in and checked bags which weighed 46.5 and 36.5lbs. I had the agent enter my Known Traveller Number then I cleared security using TSA Precheck and there was no additional screening.

Southwest #2108 DAL-MCI B-737-700 Boarding Pass A59
Seat 21A Cruising altitude 39,000 feet Estimated flying time 1:05, actual 1:11
Depart: Gate 6 Scheduled 17h40, actual 17h35 Taxi: 9 minutes
Arrive: Gate 38 Scheduled 19h15, actual 19h00 Taxi: 4 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 11-12 minutes after arrival

We boarded by jetway in groups of 10. The capacity controlled load was 54/93. It was announced it was 86F and partly cloudy at MCI but bumps were expected on descent. Takeoff was to the south from a wet runway. I saw traffic congestion and I saw the Cotton Bowl and Fairgrounds. We turned left at 0:02. I saw downtown Dallas and DAL at 0:04. There were clouds then clouds broke and at 0:14 I saw the Red River as we crossed into Oklahoma airspace. At 0:15 I got Snack Mix. At 0:16 I got cup of water and I saw Durant, OK. At 0:27 it was announced the cabin would be cleaned up early due to expected bumps going into MCI. Clouds increased and blocked view. At 0:30 I felt bumps. I felt descent begin at 0:36 over northern Oklahoma. Clouds broke some but we dodged some thunderstorms. Descent was announced at 0:45 and it was announced it was 86F at MCI and we would fly around storms south of Kansas City and ETA was 15 minutes early. Clouds broke again at 0:50. I saw the Missouri River at 1:04. At 1:06 we turned east then south. We landed north to south and arrived at gate 15 minutes early. We deplaned via jetway. After I reclaimed my checked baggage I got shuttle to hotel and I spent the night in Kansas City, MO.

Wednesday morning I got ready and phoned up dispatch and was told that someone would bring a package with the things I needed for the changeover in August due to the merger/takeover of parent companies. I checked out of where I was staying and booked a room closer to where the next shipper was as the next truck was not ready yet. I got transport and arrived at that location and checked in and had a short wait for a room. I was able to do some much needed laundry. There were thunderstorms at times. I had evening rations at Rosedale Bar-B-Q and I was able to enjoy dine-in for the first time this tour of duty. I had a sliced Beef Brisket Sandwich. I spent the night in Kansas City, KS.
lamphs likes this.

Last edited by Loose Cannon; Sep 11, 2020 at 2:59 am
Old Sep 11, 2020, 2:44 am
Original Poster

WN2104 SMF-DEN 23rd July 2020

Some pictures of Southwest Airlines flight from Sacramento to Denver

Before departure from SMF

Mostly empty cabin

After takeoff

Climb

Service

Denver metro area

Final approach

Arrival at DEN
Old Sep 11, 2020, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Pueblo, Colorado

Some pictures of Pueblo, Colorado

lamphs likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Raton, New Mexico

Some pictures of Raton, New Mexico

lamphs likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Fear of cooties? SMH.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 4:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Dang, 2.5 days from Denver to Corsicana? That's like a 12 hour drive for me!
Old Oct 10, 2020, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Dang, 2.5 days from Denver to Corsicana? That's like a 12 hour drive for me!
I had to contend with Hours of Service Constraints and the New Mexico Trip Permit the company sent me did not allow me to enter New Mexico until the following day.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 1:25 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Love it, glad you’re back on the road!

I have SWA DEN-SMF and DAL-MCI sectors in my log book.

Have also done similar road miles Denver->Texas and vice versa more than several times.

Have always been intrigued by Raton, NM. Have no clue why.

Next time you’re in Corsicana, check out the Collin Street Bakery, a very storied place. Just google search FRUITCAKE.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
I had to contend with Hours of Service Constraints and the New Mexico Trip Permit the company sent me did not allow me to enter New Mexico until the following day.
Makes sense, I just did the drive in a 16' box truck and going through Raton pass sucked. The thing didn't want to go past 60 uphill and was speed limited at 75 mph.

Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
Love it, glad you’re back on the road!

I have SWA DEN-SMF and DAL-MCI sectors in my log book.

Have also done similar road miles Denver->Texas and vice versa more than several times.

Have always been intrigued by Raton, NM. Have no clue why.

Next time you’re in Corsicana, check out the Collin Street Bakery, a very storied place. Just google search FRUITCAKE.
Agree with you on Raton, something about it just piques my interest. Also, is the original CSB in Corsicana? I know it's become more of a chain now as I see a couple between Dallas and Shreveport.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
The original Collin Street Bakery is indeed in Corsicana. It was off 45 by a number of blocks. They used to always have ten cents coffee.

The newer one is in a chain strip mall right off 45. It’s a nice restaurant and has a Tesla Supercharger.

I have also seen another somewhere in East Texas en route to Shreveport.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
The original Collin Street Bakery is indeed in Corsicana. It was off 45 by a number of blocks. They used to always have ten cents coffee.

The newer one is in a chain strip mall right off 45. It’s a nice restaurant and has a Tesla Supercharger.

I have also seen another somewhere in East Texas en route to Shreveport.
The one I'm thinking of is off 20 in Lindale. Also, based on their website, it looks like the original is still open in Corsicana along with the new one on 45.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 2:34 am
Original Poster

From the Plains to Appalachia; Traffic Collision

Part III: 30th July to 4th August

There was rain much of the day on Thursday 30th July. I got transport to the shipper and made the pickup. Rain started during the pickup.

Trip: Kansas City, KS to Blacksburg, VA 892 paid miles
Make: 2014 Freightliner
Model: Boom Truck
Transmission: Standard 8-speed
Governed Speed: 70mph
Route: Interstate 635 to Interstate 70 to Interstate 670 to Interstate 70 to Missouri 370 to Interstate 270 to Interstate 170 to Interstate 70 to Interstate 64 to Interstate 77 to US460
Highest elevation: 3,252 feet at Flat Top Interstate 77 2 miles south of Ghent, WV
Highest diesel price USA: 2.439$ per gallon at Pilot Mt. Vernon, IL
Lowest diesel price USA: 1.939$ per gallon at TA Foristell, MO

After completing the pickup I got started and headed to the Pilot in Kansas City, KS to take on fuel. I then went over to a nearby QT where I found a parking space and I had to do a parked regeneration due to an issue with the Diesel Particulate Filter. Afterward I got on the 70 and got caught in a traffic jam and was actually forced off the Interstate and and after a detour back on as a semi jackknifed and blocked the Interstate. That was an area where there was a sharp curve and my educated guess was that truck tried to take the curve too fast. I stopped at Walmart in Oak Grove, MO to get some supplies. It took me 1 hour 51 minutes to go 35 miles/56km. I opted to spend a rainy night in Oak Grove, MO.

Friday I was tied up on the phone regarding questions about some upcoming changes due to a merger of parent companies. I took on fuel in Boonville, MO. Rain started and continued most of the way that evening. I took on fuel in Foristell, MO. I had to hit the brakes to avoid hitting a car in St-Louis, MO just before the Mississippi River Bridge. I spent the night in O'Fallon, IL.

Saturday there was rain off and on. I had midday rations from Popeye's in Mt. Vernon, IL. I proceeded through southern Indiana into Louisville, Kentucky on Interstate 64. It was a few minutes before midnight Eastern Time and I just cleared the interchange with Interstate 265 which is the outer ring road around Louisville. I heard a noise and saw a vehicle go the left and I realised there was a collision. I pulled over to the breakdown lane. It was dark and raining at the time. I logged myself "on duty not driving" and expected the worst and I called 911. I was on the phone with the operator when a woman turned up on the passenger side of the truck. I lowered the window and was relieved to learn that the woman who was the other party in the collision escaped injury and furthermore her vehicle was driveable. The operator said that the authorities would not be dispached due to no injuries. I informed the operator that a commercial motor vehicle was involved but she still refused to dispatch anyone. I made note of that fact. We exchanged information. It was dark and raining so I was unable to get any good pictures plus I did not want to risk my life going across three lanes to where the vehicle was. The woman left. I headed to a truckstop where I got under a lighted canopy and took some preliminary pictures and had a chat with an insurance adjuster from the new parent company and gave details about the collision. My best educated guess was that the other driver was going too fast for conditions and aquaplaned right into the side of the truck. The only damage was to the bottom step of the step assembly so I had to mind my step getting in/out of the vehicle but the vehicle was very driveable. I ended up spending the night in Shelbyville, KY.

Sunday I got a very late start due to the unwelcome excitement of the previous night. I did take a nap enroute. I took on fuel in Mt. Sterling, KY. Before I left that day I drew up a written statement and texted that along with other pertinent information and I took more pictures and sent those to the Claims Adjuster. I was not able to make it to church that Sunday. I saw some fireflies at dusk in eastern Kentucky. I spent the night in Huntington, WV.

Monday I contacted dispatch and was told to continue to delivery. I thought I might be diverted somewhere for repairs but that was not the case. I made lousy time due to terrain but I finally reached the jobsite where I was to deliver the truck in Blacksburg, VA while it was still light. I was taken to hotel and had evening rations at Cracker Barrel across the street from the hotel. I spent the night in Christiansburg, VA.

Tuesday I got transport to rental car company and got in a rental car to Ohio. I stopped in Blacksburg, WV; Beckley, WV; Charleston, WV and Huntington, WV and took pictures of those respective cities en route. I had evening rations at Sheetz near Beckley, WV. I took a detour and literally cut through the woods due to an issue on the West Virginia Turnpike (Interstate 64/77 north of Beckley). I ended up spending the night in Portsmouth, OH.

My ride from Kansas City, Kansas to Blacksburg, Virginia
lamphs likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Blacksburg, Virginia and Vicinity

Some pictures of Blacksburg, Virginia and Vicinity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.