FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Baggage Allowance question: Two separate Star Alliance Ticket and two cabin classes
Old Sep 9, 2020, 8:17 pm
stratidawn

Sorry guys... SFO-NRT lands 14:05 at NRT, and the NRT-SZX flight leaves 15:40

[QUOTE=Mwenenzi;32662149]With separate tickets "significant carrier" does not apply. Each ticket, with its t&c's, stands on its own
UA will interline as link below. The cost of additional checked bags/weight is a big unknown. You may/may not get away with it

The chance of doing a 40 min transfer at the end of one flight and departure of another flight are close to nil.
Would UA sell SFO-NRT-SZX as 1 ticket?
The NRT-SZX flight will close X minutes before scheduled departure. You do not have 40 min.
NRT is a big airport. Just getting from the UA gate to the ZH gate to get boarding pass could take time. If UA is late by a few minutes you are doomed

UA will be looking for passport,visa,covid-19 requirements, visa, etc for Japan as that is where they are taking you. If UA would accept a ticket out of Japan (in a very short time) in lieu is a massive gamble. You may be denied boarding by UA.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Wow, where to begin...

Since you have two completely different tickets, you neither have a connection nor any privileges across the bookings. UA may check your baggage through but may not, in which case you’d need to collect your luggage, and check in again for your next flight. Regardless of this, UA considers your trip to end in Japan, so you need to be able to enter Japan under the current circumstances. Have you checked that you are eligible to enter the country? I agree you will most likely be denied boarding in SFO unless you meet the requirements.

Aside from all of that, a 40 minute connection would have been pretty much impossible even in normal times, but now is completely out of the question. Even if you are allowed to board the UA flight, you’d likely forfeit the SZX flight. UA no longer has international first class, I believe you mean Polaris, which is a business class product.

Summary: depending on what passports you hold, you may wish to reconsider this whole trip, and at a minimum book it on one ticket or give yourself several hours in between.
Originally Posted by Often1
1. This is not a connection, but a transfer between two separate tickets.
2. Most significant carrier has not been used by any US carrier since 2011, so forget about it anyway.
3. No, UA will not check your bags through. The MCT for I-I at NRT is 1.00 and you are 20 minutes below that. While UA will check across separate *A tickets, it will only do so when MCT is met.
4. Thus, you will need to claim your bags at NRT, check them in with SH and so on. This entails being admissible to Japan. You will also have missed the bag check, check-in and gate deadlines for your onwards ticket.

In any event, UA would not even sell this as a connection, so it is an almost certainty that you can't make this work. Typically, I would allow at least 3x the MCT for separate tickets because you bear the risk of a delay on the inbound.
Originally Posted by seawolf
OP wrote they are boarding new flight 40 minutes of landing not new flight departing 40 minutes.

In any case I wouldn’t attempt this.
Originally Posted by Often1
Not sure I understand your concern.

I take 40 minutes of "landing" to mean 40 minutes of gate arrival, but if I am wrong and it is really "landing" then it is even less likely that OP will make his onwards flight.
Originally Posted by seawolf
It could mean whether the two flights can be sold as a connection.

If SZ flight typically (no idea if it does) boards 30 min prior to departure and “flight begins boarding 40 min after OP landing,” then the connection time is 70 min. If NRT MCT is 60 min as you indicated then OP should reconsider buying these flights as a connection.
Originally Posted by paperwastage
also, United does not have first class anymore.

i'm only aware of UA/JL/NH doing nonstop SFO-NRT, so OP could theoretically redeem United miles for NH First

still wouldn't do this. 40-70 self-connecting ticket is too tight
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Same thing?
Sorry guys... SFO-NRT lands 14:05 at NRT, and the NRT-SZX flight leaves 15:40...Sorry that caused such a debate... This is completely do-able since there's an hour and a half