FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Baggage Allowance question: Two separate Star Alliance Ticket and two cabin classes
Old Sep 9, 2020, 12:16 am
Mwenenzi
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stratidawn
Hello Flyers.. I've got a tricky question here...

I booked two separate tickets: United Airline: SFO -> NRT (First Class Ticket); and within 40min of landing NRT, I will be boarding Shenzhen Airline's NRT --> SZX (Premium Economy)

Condition to be considered:
1. United Airline and Shenzhen Airline are both Star Alliance, I know that I will be able to checked all my luggage through final destination (SZX)
2. These two tickets are purchased separately, ie they are NOT under one itinerary/reservation code.

Here comes the tricky part:
1. SFO --> NRT is first class (longer flight, so UA is considered significant carrier throughout the trip), but NRT-->SZX is premium economy, when I check my bags at SFO, will I be able to check two 70lbs (32kg) luggages all the way through Shenzhen? The question here is that, would the NRT-SZX part of my trip limit my luggage allowance?
2. How does it work if I want to pre-purchase additional checked bags? UA charges $200/piece up to 70lbs per piece. If I do this, would this suffice for the 3rd checked bag to get to the final destination?

I read something about the IATA and the US DOT rules... But wanted to come here and ask you all expert Flyers here.

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!
With separate tickets "significant carrier" does not apply. Each ticket, with its t&c's, stands on its own
UA will interline as link below. The cost of additional checked bags/weight is a big unknown. You may/may not get away with it
UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenzhen_Airlines

The chance of doing a 40 min transfer at the end of one flight and departure of another flight are close to nil.
Would UA sell SFO-NRT-SZX as 1 ticket?
The NRT-SZX flight will close X minutes before scheduled departure. You do not have 40 min.
NRT is a big airport. Just getting from the UA gate to the ZH gate to get boarding pass could take time. If UA is late by a few minutes you are doomed

UA will be looking for passport,visa,covid-19 requirements, visa, etc for Japan as that is where they are taking you. If UA would accept a ticket out of Japan (in a very short time) in lieu is a massive gamble. You may be denied boarding by UA.

Route ---> Great Circle Mapper
Time to start looking for new tickets