FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Covid19: LH and Credit Card - Disputes/Chargebacks
Old Sep 4, 2020, 11:31 pm
IAN-UK
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by SK AAR

I have really no interest in the (extreme) remedies available in the UK and the US. For the majority of subscribers to this forum, they are not available.
I'm not sure I'd classify our Money Claim Online (MCOL) as extreme: it's simple to use, streamlined version of the small claims procedures available in most, if not all, member states.

There's even an EU-wide (except Denmark), cross-border small claims procedure (https://europa.eu/youreurope/busines...htm#shortcut-1) though I imagine this might be a bit of a headache to implement

As for our much-loved Section 75, it's really no more difficult to follow than a regular chargeback, though it is more specific in the situations it will cover. The consumer joy of the procedure is that the credit card company is equally as liable as the merchant: so that if you do not receive the service or goods you paid for the credit card people must make you whole, irrespective of the merchant agreeing to refund.

UK isn't a shining light in consumer affairs, so i'd be surprised if other EU states didn't have some version of our Consumer Credit Act Section 75, introduced back in the mists of time - 1974. There're certainly EU Directives covering consumer credit but whether these consider "charge back" mechanisms is beyond my competence.

I'm by no means an extreme litigant. But the behaviour of Luftansa really tested my patience.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Sep 4, 2020 at 11:36 pm