FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would NZ ever fly to Chathams?
View Single Post
Old Sep 3, 2020, 1:25 pm
HighFlyingKiwi

Programs: Air New Zealand
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
I could me wrong, but though one or two of NZ’s 72-600s did have HR radios fitted. As they where built for another airline, that didn’t not take delivery of them.
I believe this is correct. However I know Air Chats are equipping MCO with some new kit to be able to make the trips out to CHT.

Air NZ did operate Fokker Friendships F27s out to CHT for a small period of time. However these flights were dropped in favour of Mount Cook Airlines and their Hawker Siddely 748s. Air Chathams started whilst Mount Cook was serving the island, and the two airlines had many years of hard competition. Air Chats tended to fly more freight at the time with aircraft like the Beechcraft Queen Air, Beechcraft 99 and Fairchild Metroliners. Mount Cook only dropped out when they replaced the H748 fleet with new ATR 72-200s. This left Air Chats the only operator to the Chathams. They soon found the Metro wasnt big enough, so in came the Convairs.

Convairs are a brilliant bird, but the end is near. It has been no secret for many years, Air Chats have wanted the runway extension so they can introduce a 733. Watch this space I guess. Although the effects of Covid will probably better the airlines plans for a while.