Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would NZ ever fly to Chathams?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2020, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Would NZ ever fly to Chathams?

This article on Chatham Islands tourism mentioned the following:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12361168

"In October Air Chathams will add its 68-seater ATR-72 500 aircraft to its passenger fleet of ageing Convairs to accommodate increased numbers. The aircraft, bought from Air New Zealand last year, has been used as a charter aircraft for wealthy Americans, a sector that's since disappeared.The Government announced a $36m project to upgrade and extend the tiny Tuuta Airport last month, a move that means Air Chathams can eventually introduce Boeing 737s, cutting travel time and increasing freight and passenger capacities."

I was wondering if Air NZ might look at flying either ATRs or in future 737s to the islands? What has put me off in the past is those old planes Air Chathams flies

Does anyone know if NZ have ever considered this or flown a route there?
Old Sep 2, 2020, 7:52 pm

Seems like the type of market a regional jet like the Embraer E170 or E190 would niche into perfectly.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 8:26 pm

I would say no.

AirNZ doesn't have combis.
More cargo leaving island than belly hold would handle compared to pax load.

Air Chathams looking at 737 F or combi for the flights I think. Would be interesting to see ATRs to Chathams is a special flight or regular? As the can't expand the cargo area due to the front door/window.

That said could see Air Chathams becoming part of AirNZ link in next five years.

Don't think regional jets would suit Chathams as don't think there are combis.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
There is a transport section in the Chatham Islands wiki entry that gives a potted history of flights to the Chathams.

TEAL Flying boats, then RNZAF flying boats Operated until 1967. From 1960 SAFE Air operated Bristol Freighters and Argosy aircraft until 1990, with Air New Zealand operating to Chathams 1990 until 1992. Air Chathams was founded around the same time to maintain the air connection.

Various wiki entries don’t agree on the timeline - but key point is that AirNZ appears to have operated to/from the Chathams for a short period.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 1:49 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Air NZ ATRs aren't equipped to fly over the ocean. Lots of safety and other equipment incl radios are required.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 1:57 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Air NZ ATRs aren't equipped to fly over the ocean. Lots of safety and other equipment incl radios are required.
I could me wrong, but though one or two of NZ’s 72-600s did have HR radios fitted. As they where built for another airline, that didn’t not take delivery of them.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 1:25 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
I could me wrong, but though one or two of NZ’s 72-600s did have HR radios fitted. As they where built for another airline, that didn’t not take delivery of them.
I believe this is correct. However I know Air Chats are equipping MCO with some new kit to be able to make the trips out to CHT.

Air NZ did operate Fokker Friendships F27s out to CHT for a small period of time. However these flights were dropped in favour of Mount Cook Airlines and their Hawker Siddely 748s. Air Chathams started whilst Mount Cook was serving the island, and the two airlines had many years of hard competition. Air Chats tended to fly more freight at the time with aircraft like the Beechcraft Queen Air, Beechcraft 99 and Fairchild Metroliners. Mount Cook only dropped out when they replaced the H748 fleet with new ATR 72-200s. This left Air Chats the only operator to the Chathams. They soon found the Metro wasnt big enough, so in came the Convairs.

Convairs are a brilliant bird, but the end is near. It has been no secret for many years, Air Chats have wanted the runway extension so they can introduce a 733. Watch this space I guess. Although the effects of Covid will probably better the airlines plans for a while.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:18 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by HighFlyingKiwi
Convairs are a brilliant bird, but the end is near. It has been no secret for many years, Air Chats have wanted the runway extension so they can introduce a 733. Watch this space I guess. Although the effects of Covid will probably better the airlines plans for a while.
If there runway had of already been upgraded, Alaskan’s 734Combis that left there felt last year or the year before would of been prefect for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.