FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BR Hints at 787 Order Change
View Single Post
Old Aug 31, 2020, 9:47 pm
coolfish1103

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
They have 15 remaining on order. Are they planning to cancel 8?
As of now no cancellations, so the rest will remain as 787-10, but likely deferred.

Originally Posted by bzcat
I think BR should convert any delivery they cannot defer indefinitely (or at least 3+ year) to 789 and take them with long haul cabin config (i.e. with PE). That way they can slim down their capacity as the next batch of leased 77W leave the fleet.

Longer term (~5 years), they may find the 781 useful again when another batch of 9-abreast 77W will leave the fleet leaving only 10-abreast 77W in the fleet (which in theory could be replaced by 779 further down the road). So by 2026 or 27, BR's widebody utilization will look roughly like this:
  • 789 no PE - Australia (assuming they haven't been re-configured to have PE cabin by that time)
  • 789 with PE - North America secondary (e.g. ORD/SEA/IAH/YVR/YYC) and Europe non-stop
  • 781 - Australia, Asia trunk routes (e.g. NRT, SIN, HKG), Europe via BKK
  • 77W - North America primary gateway with big cargo ops (e.g. LAX/SFO/JFK)
EVA should be looking at a smaller fleet or downsize the capacities because the travelling world isn't going to come back to where it is before. I don't think 779 is going to be the option in the future with direct flight being the most preferred option due to chances of catching virus. Capacities will need to be reduced one way or the other and they have too many 77W and 781 on hand.