FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus in Sweden
View Single Post
Old Aug 25, 2020, 5:55 pm
CPH-Flyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by RedChili
So, apparently, thousands of Swedes have received a false positive result after taking a commercial covid-19 test. We're talking about 3,700 tests that were positive, but they should have been negative.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/s...presskonferens

Which basically means that the infection rate in Sweden is far lower than what has been reported in mass media and on web pages like worldometers.

As I've already said: The pandemic is over in Sweden and covid-19 has become an endemic disease.
Before we celebrate the complete non existence of Covid-19 in Sweden due to this testing error (yes I am being sarcastic), it does not fundamentally change the Swedish numbers 3700 positive tests are potentially flawed and needs to be retested. It is not 3700 that SHOULD have been negative, it is 3700 that COULD have been negative. Even if all 3700 tests turn out to be negative, that moves Sweden from 86.8K positive cases to 83.1K positive cases, it does not dramatically alter the picture of the Swedish infection levels. Sure the cases per million inhabitants goes down a bit, the rate of fatalities to number of positive cases goes up a bit, the number of fatalities in relation to population remains the same.

Some of the articles say that this test has been used over the period March to August, while the doctor interviewed on SVT seemed to indicate June/July, though that was just for his lab. The exact timing of these tests being used is not entirely clear to me, but if they all happened in June/July, it would be a quite dramatic share of reported numbers for that period, if it happened over the period March to August, it is not a big fluctuation. It is unfortunate when flawed tests happens, it happened in other countries as well, it does seem that China has a bit of a supply chain issue in terms of the tests, or they just have lower standards.