FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Trip Cancellation & Coronavirus: Discussion & Questions
Old Aug 6, 2020, 11:55 pm
zarkov505

Programs: AA MM (like it matters!) All of my flying was personal travel, and COVID-19 stopped that.
Originally Posted by zarkov505
Well, THAT was a pleasant surprise!

I just got an unsolicited phone call from American Airlines. (The phone caller ID recognized the number as "AA Booking".) They were calling to ask if I was still planning on going on the trip. I said No, because the borders were closed, and I'd been planning on calling them to cancel and request a refund. She said that was good, because otherwise she'd have had to explain that the borders were closed. She went on to say that she could cancel the trip for me, and give me instructions on exactly how to request the refund.

Which we did.

I'm going to check the AA website later today to verify that it is cancelled, and do the refund request step.

AA just rose a few points in my estimation. They still have a LOOOONG way to go to catch up with JL, but this is a step in the right direction.
It appears that I spoke too soon.

I checked the "prefunds" site. AA wants a $300 "cancellation fee". I telephoned. The telephone agent claimed it was because the hops from HSV-DFW and DFW-HND were still flying. I tried to explain that my destination was Bangkok, not Japan, and that BOTH Thailand AND Japan had closed their borders. No joy. I'm leaving it as a credit for now, and will call them again, then probably start the letter writing.