FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel credit deadline extended
View Single Post
Old Aug 6, 2020, 7:42 pm
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SamuelS
Thanks for this distinction. I was aware of this loophole for flying to the US, though the reality is that Canadian's would be travelling in contravention of an avoid all non-essential travel warning, travel insurance would typically not cover you including for medical, and you'd have a 14-day mandatory quarantine on your return home. To all intents and purposes, travel is not logistically feasible between the two countries for the vast majority of us (and comes with significant financial risk given the insurance issues), except for very specific situations such as families split between the two countries.
Just for clarity:
  1. It is not a loophole. The USA has not restricted Canadians from entering the US for discretionary purposes via air during the pandemic.
  2. The Canadian Goverment has issued an advisory to non-essential travel outside Canada. It is not a mandate and thus there is nothing to contravene.
  3. Many Canadian's through group health care plans (myself included) continue to hold valid out of Province & out of Country medical coverage, including for COVID-19. It baffles me how many travel without medical insurance.

I am looking at a trip in September to see friends in DXB and also considering time in Turkey or elsewhere in Europe. Mileage Plan redemptions apply to Partner flights originating in Canada too so transiting the US isn't always necessary. I certainly wouldn't book anything that couldn't be unwound within a few days of departure.

James