FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Kenya travel for US Citizens
View Single Post
Old Aug 3, 2020, 5:01 am
Voldoo

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Nobody wants US citizens to visit their country now. Save the Kenya trip for the 11th anniversary. The Kenyans will appreciate it and you’ll be doing a small part to dispel the current view that American selfishness is the reason Covid is running rampant there.
Perhaps you should let other countries and their goverments speak for themselves. If Keynya and the dozen or so other countries did not want U.S. citizens to visit, then they would not have opened their borders to them.

COVID infections and deaths are not the only consideration in the world; there are social, econmoic and geo-political effects occuring that we will probably not fully understand for another decade. The people I know who most strongly support lockdowns and quarentines are generally people who reside in developed countries wtith stronger social programs, and who tend to be highly educated meaning they can work remotely for the most part. Unfortunately most of the world does not fit into this category; most countries do not have diverse, robust economies that can recover as quickly as the ones you see in developed nations.

I don't know the psyche of the Kenyan people so I won't make any assumptions. All I know is, if I were in a developing country and was faced with the choice of A) No chance of COVID infections but also no money, or B) extremely small chance of COVID death but able to feed my family, I would choose option B.