FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chargeback rejected
View Single Post
Old Jul 29, 2020, 7:45 pm
Often1
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This doesn't make sense to me, at least for the way USA credit cards work. Thai should be processing the refund through the credit card and AFAIK it wouldn't matter to anyone whether they give a "refund" in response to a chargeback or let the chargeback stand unless it somehow delays when they must pay. It they do the refund for some reason, refunding to the original form of payment means that the credit card account shows the refund, so it's easy to verify whether this was actually done or not.

However, if the ticket had been purchased with a combination of money, points, and vouchers (or gift cards, etc.), I guess they could refund just the money portion and the customer would need to go back to the credit card and try to "prove" (but it shouldn't be the customer's burden) that the points and/or vouchers weren't returned, but these items normally wouldn't be part of the chargeback anyway.
I don't think that's it at all. The suggestion was that if one disagrees with a negative chargeback decision, e.g., the amount charged is not credited (refunded) to the card account, that one simple does not pay the credit card bill. That is indeed poor advice and can lead as noted above to significant negative consequences.