FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Time to renew GE/license/passport in NY. What order?
Old Jul 28, 2020, 2:52 pm
sethweinstein

Time to renew GE/license/passport in NY. What order?

My license and Global Entry expired last month. The license has a courtesy extension since the offices are closed for renewals. I assume I have to start from scratch for Global Entry as a New Yorker -- tried to renew in February; the application (of course) got canceled; now it's expired.

My passport expires in January 2022, but since I can't imagine going abroad for the next five months, I might as well renew now and join the moderately unthinkable current backlog as opposed to waiting for the unbelievably unthinkable backlog when travel picks up next year.

I figure I should apply for Global Entry now (using my current passport) and then send in the passport renewal immediately after. Any drawbacks to that? Are the Global Entry people likely to balk if, in ten months, they see that the passport has been replaced?

Then I can do the license separately, at my leisure (though I wonder if I can rent a car with a technically expired license whose validity has been extended by executive order). I can get an enhanced license in New York but for the same price I figure I might as well get a passport card instead, which will be valid longer.

Any reason to do things in a different order?

Thanks,
Seth