Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Time to renew GE/license/passport in NY. What order?

Old Jul 28, 20, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

My license and Global Entry expired last month. The license has a courtesy extension since the offices are closed for renewals. I assume I have to start from scratch for Global Entry as a New Yorker -- tried to renew in February; the application (of course) got canceled; now it's expired.

My passport expires in January 2022, but since I can't imagine going abroad for the next five months, I might as well renew now and join the moderately unthinkable current backlog as opposed to waiting for the unbelievably unthinkable backlog when travel picks up next year.

I figure I should apply for Global Entry now (using my current passport) and then send in the passport renewal immediately after. Any drawbacks to that? Are the Global Entry people likely to balk if, in ten months, they see that the passport has been replaced?

Then I can do the license separately, at my leisure (though I wonder if I can rent a car with a technically expired license whose validity has been extended by executive order). I can get an enhanced license in New York but for the same price I figure I might as well get a passport card instead, which will be valid longer.

Any reason to do things in a different order?

Thanks,
Seth
Old Jul 28, 20, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What order you do things won't matter. Just use the occasion to make certain that the identifying information is exactly the same on all three documents.

Many states provide a printable extension order for DL's which can accompany your DL when you need your license out-of-state and it is past date, but not expired as the result of an administrative extension. Check the NY website for such a letter, print one and keep it with your DL.
Old Jul 28, 20, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Points well taken about the matching information and the accompanying print-out. Thanks!

This seems to be the relevant order for New York: https://dmv.ny.gov/press-release/press-release-03-21-20

Seth
Old Jul 31, 20, 1:27 am

Have you recently seen an eye doctor? Last 6 months or so? Get the form filled out and renew by mail.
Edited to add I meant to suggest renewing online

Last edited by lewisc; Jul 31, 20 at 10:35 am
Old Jul 31, 20, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lewisc View Post
Have you recently seen an eye doctor? Last 6 months or so? Get the form filled out and renew by mail.
I haven't (never have) but good idea, thanks. Also, to upgrade to a Real ID (not necessary if I have a passport or passport card, I know, but I might as well) I have to visit the DMV in person anyway.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 31, 20 at 11:43 am Reason: Remove quote of and response to a deleted post
Old Jul 31, 20, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by sethweinstein View Post
I haven't (never have) but good idea, thanks. Also, to upgrade to a Real ID (not necessary if I have a passport or passport card, I know, but I might as well) I have to visit the DMV in person anyway.

This policy is from February and was rescinded last week.
DMV is going to be a real zoo in general. Real ID is going to be a real pain. Get an eye exam in a AAA office, if you're a member, or at a participating examiner and renew online. You'll save hours.

https://dmv.ny.gov/vision-registry-locator
Old Jul 31, 20, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

DMV is going to be a real zoo in general. Real ID is going to be a real pain. Get an eye exam in a AAA office, if you're a member, or at a participating examiner and renew online. You'll save hours.

https://dmv.ny.gov/vision-registry-locator
Thanks...good thinking!

Seth
Old Aug 1, 20, 7:47 am

M
My passport expires in January 2022, but since I can't imagine going abroad for the next five months, I might as well renew now and join the moderately unthinkable . Any drawbacks to that? Are the Global Entry people likely to balk if, in ten months, they see that the passport has been replaced?

Thanks,
Seth
I missed this. After your passport is renewed you log in and update your info with global entry. I dont know the ramifications if GE realizes your passport expired months ago and updated passport info was never provided. I assume that's covered in the terms and conditions that are never read
Old Aug 1, 20, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

I missed this. After your passport is renewed you log in and update your info with global entry. I dont know the ramifications if GE realizes your passport expired months ago and updated passport info was never provided. I assume that's covered in the terms and conditions that are never read
Thanks. The site says to give the new passport information at the interview as there's no way to update it on a pending application -- we'll see what happens in practice. I'm almost certain to get the passport before my conditional approval.

Seth
Old Aug 1, 20, 2:23 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Thanks. The site says to give the new passport information at the interview as there's no way to update it on a pending application -- we'll see what happens in practice. I'm almost certain to get the passport before my conditional approval.

Seth
Please refer to the following thread for additional information and discussion of this particular topic:TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
sethweinstein likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: