FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)
Old Jul 22, 2020, 7:52 am
bgriff

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I generate enough travel, grocery and dining spend that I am in NO danger of not using the Gold and Green regularly. It’s the Delta card that would definitely be a “maybe put my iTunes on it or buy lunch once a month, or buy snacks and wifi in a Delta flight” card once the spend bonus was done with. I would likely downgrade to Blue and keep the card open as I am still trying to rebuild credit (I want to boost some overall credit lines).

I get the idea of no sock drawering... and the be honest I mostly want keeper cards with AMEX: probably Gold/Green, Hilton/Marriott and then just put spend on them. I am just not sure if Delta fits in that model. If I was more keen on their card feature sets or DL SkyPesos, I might be more of a buyer.

That gives me some context, then. Like I said, I would be trickling some charges on it. I also have college expenses for the next several years + next year's taxes that I will be able to put on some cards as needed (though I would prefer to use them for SUBs, of course).

Funny thing is I don't actually want to keep Platinum though- I might end up settling on something like Gold/Green/Surpass or Aspire/AMEX Marriott $95 (as the PC downgrade from the $450 one) long term.
Up to you of course but IMO it doesn't sound like you are going to be enough of a user of the Delta card for the risk of Amex jail to be worth 50K SkyPesos. There are many other more exciting SUBs out there, including from time to time much more generous offers on the Delta family of cards (especially on the more premium Delta cards, which sometimes have SUBs in the ~80K neighborhood, though with higher minimum spend requirements), so might as well at least wait for one of those if you're going to tempt fate with Amex?

The Delta Platinum card does also now have some okay category bonuses -- they're still not the best cards in any category, but at least they offer some extra value if you were going to be putting some spend on a Delta Amex out of obligation to try to avoid the wrath of Amex.