FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex (USA) restricts bonus based on number of accounts opened/closed (June 2018)
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:10 pm
TravelingZoomer

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So I am interested in the current incognito bonus on the AMEX Delta Gold (50k, 1k spend), but I am not so interested in heavy use of it given that airfare and dining multiplies are WAY better on the AMEX Gold, even if I transfer. I have zero use for free luggage and though based out of SEA I'm not a DL partisan, more an occasional DL flyer with more action to AS and WN (it would probably go AS, WN, and DL/AA tied for 3rd).

I would likely downgrade to the Blue after year one and keep it alive with an occasional tickle buying a lunch or something (unless there's a super interesting upgrade offer to Platinum). It's also likely the card I'd kill off first if I ran into the 4 card limit.

That being said, if this gets me a popup if I ever want the Schwab or vanilla Platinum, or other Hilton/Marriott cards... I'd want to pass.

I plan on keeping Gold and Green plus a Hilton card long term.

How much danger of being in popup jail am I in if I do this?
I'm currently in pop-up jail after downgrading my Delta Gold to Blue, which I sock drawer-ed. Consider putting a monthly subscription on the card after SUB or just stay keen on Amex offers, they're pretty generous from time to time. I'd consider planning out your credit card map a year from you opening the Delta card. If you're going to get all your major SUBs before potentially closing, then I think it's worth it. Keep in mind also, if you downgrade after paying the renewal fee Amex gives you a pro-rated refund, so consider the annual fee an insurance to Amex Pop up Jail.