FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus Business/First Cutbacks. Which airline would you fly longhaul [US to IST]
Old Jul 20, 2020, 6:46 pm
Amil

Programs: AA EXP.
Originally Posted by woodsbw
Just did a roundtrip from the US to IST early this month. OS/LH/AC will have you transiting through airports that will require quarantining on the way back (if this is round trip.)

TK is great as you avoid a 3rd transit country (and their safety protocols have been solid), but their service has been significantly downgraded and their schedules have been a mess. I was going to fly TK, but gave up and cancelled the fourth time I had to call in due to flight changes/cancellations in a single week. While I was trying to stick to Star Alliance to burn some miles, we ended up booking with Qatar. Service was great (only minor alterations from normal in all cabins, we flew Y there and J back), safety protocols were great and you are allowed to transit Qatar without a quarantine in the US upon return. Flights to and from the US we pretty empty...enough that everyone got 2-3 rows in a section to themselves in Y. Qatar to Istanbul flights were more full. They require a mask and face shield in Y, but you are not required to wear them in J while you are in your seat. With frequencies to and from Turkey down, we did need an overnight layover both directions.

Hi im confused on the quarantine on the way back? If its just transit not sure what quarantine there is unless its mandatory regardless? or is the US going to be mandating a quarantine when I get back? I think LH has a testing center at both airports so I can always get one of those and have the results when I land.

are all the first class lounges open for LH? can I access the first class terminal as a us citizen when I land ?

Last edited by Amil; Jul 20, 2020 at 7:34 pm