Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Business/First Cutbacks. Which airline would you fly longhaul [US to IST]

Coronavirus Business/First Cutbacks. Which airline would you fly longhaul [US to IST]

Old Jul 19, 20, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat and Amex Plat benefits.

Booking a ticket to istanbul (end of this month) and I have following options for the long haul portion, im trying to figure out which airline/service would still be the best given the current coronavirus cutbacks.

TK 773 (ORD) J
TK 789 (YYZ) J
LH (J)
LH (F)
LX(J)
OS (J)
AC (788 from YYZ) J

All flights would have a stop regardless as I cant find an award ticket nonstop from los angeles.

Last edited by Amil; Jul 19, 20 at 9:01 pm
Old Jul 19, 20, 8:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold
LH or LX for sure at the present time. Maybe OS. But of course it depends on when you're travelling.

Put TK and AC at the bottom of your list unless you want less-than-Y food and beverage service.
Amil, ahmetdouas and zeer0 like this.
Old Jul 19, 20, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYCCL3 View Post
LH or LX for sure at the present time. Maybe OS. But of course it depends on when you're travelling.

Put TK and AC at the bottom of your list unless you want less-than-Y food and beverage service.
Oh end of this month.
Old Jul 20, 20, 3:48 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
LH/LX. By far the most advanced with COVID 19 protocols, even as countries.
Old Jul 20, 20, 9:16 am

Just did a roundtrip from the US to IST early this month. OS/LH/AC will have you transiting through airports that will require quarantining on the way back (if this is round trip.)

TK is great as you avoid a 3rd transit country (and their safety protocols have been solid), but their service has been significantly downgraded and their schedules have been a mess. I was going to fly TK, but gave up and cancelled the fourth time I had to call in due to flight changes/cancellations in a single week. While I was trying to stick to Star Alliance to burn some miles, we ended up booking with Qatar. Service was great (only minor alterations from normal in all cabins, we flew Y there and J back), safety protocols were great and you are allowed to transit Qatar without a quarantine in the US upon return. Flights to and from the US we pretty empty...enough that everyone got 2-3 rows in a section to themselves in Y. Qatar to Istanbul flights were more full. They require a mask and face shield in Y, but you are not required to wear them in J while you are in your seat. With frequencies to and from Turkey down, we did need an overnight layover both directions.
Old Jul 20, 20, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
TK service on-board is a total shame. You should avoid them at all cost in order for them to understand the message.
Old Jul 20, 20, 2:09 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
I have an award ticket early september to fly TK BKK-Europe.
If that flight get cancelled outside the 14 days windows I will need a J ticket probably flying LH LX or OS because of my *A status.
Do I understand correctly if cancelled within 14 days of departure TK will reroute me for free?
Unfortunately I missed the QR status match, I think they are the best, flying QR would save me 200€ but I need the extra 20kg luggage.
I might consider EVA to AMS also.

Last edited by tartempion; Jul 20, 20 at 2:15 pm
Old Jul 20, 20, 2:34 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Since the topic is not directly related to Coronavirus and the OP appears to be interested in flying on *A airlines, the thread is being moved to the Star Alliance forum.

NewbieRunner
Coronavirus and Travel forum co-modertor
Old Jul 20, 20, 3:59 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I would say unless you HAVE to go, don't go. If you have to go, or don't care for the advice, then take the cheapest Y ticket you can find. If you insist it must be business class, then just pick the fastest one with the least amount of layover time. Layovers will be boring and may or may not have lounges, plus while I think airports are relatively safe, there's just no reason to spend a bunch of extra time in an enclosed public space right now.
Old Jul 20, 20, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by woodsbw View Post
Just did a roundtrip from the US to IST early this month. OS/LH/AC will have you transiting through airports that will require quarantining on the way back (if this is round trip.)

TK is great as you avoid a 3rd transit country (and their safety protocols have been solid), but their service has been significantly downgraded and their schedules have been a mess. I was going to fly TK, but gave up and cancelled the fourth time I had to call in due to flight changes/cancellations in a single week. While I was trying to stick to Star Alliance to burn some miles, we ended up booking with Qatar. Service was great (only minor alterations from normal in all cabins, we flew Y there and J back), safety protocols were great and you are allowed to transit Qatar without a quarantine in the US upon return. Flights to and from the US we pretty empty...enough that everyone got 2-3 rows in a section to themselves in Y. Qatar to Istanbul flights were more full. They require a mask and face shield in Y, but you are not required to wear them in J while you are in your seat. With frequencies to and from Turkey down, we did need an overnight layover both directions.

Hi im confused on the quarantine on the way back? If its just transit not sure what quarantine there is unless its mandatory regardless? or is the US going to be mandating a quarantine when I get back? I think LH has a testing center at both airports so I can always get one of those and have the results when I land.

are all the first class lounges open for LH? can I access the first class terminal as a us citizen when I land ?

Last edited by Amil; Jul 20, 20 at 7:34 pm
Old Jul 21, 20, 2:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Only the FCL A in FRA is open. US citizens coming from a country that has high rates are not allowed to come landside.
Amil likes this.
Old Jul 21, 20, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Amil View Post
Hi im confused on the quarantine on the way back? If its just transit not sure what quarantine there is unless its mandatory regardless? or is the US going to be mandating a quarantine when I get back?
CDC guidelines from March recommend a 14 day quarantine for all travelers from EU and China. These are merely guidelines, as CDC has zero authority or enforcement capabilities. In light of the fact that they have not been updated in over four months and they ignore obvious realities of where COVID is and is not currently an issue, I would suggest that you not worry too much about it. Your own local/state guidelines would be much more relevant, but I do not know of too many jurisdictions in the continental US that have made any effort or even have the resources to actually enforce quarantine rules. The obvious reality is that the USA is the world's biggest hotspot, so anyone returning from abroad would in fact be less of a risk than anyone else.
Old Jul 27, 20, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

ok so its down to TK Non-Stop to LAX or LH J stop in FRA plus 750 dollars in tax. hmm.
Old Aug 1, 20, 4:12 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Amil View Post
ok so its down to TK Non-Stop to LAX or LH J stop in FRA plus 750 dollars in tax. hmm.
So no fuel surcharges on TK or $750 in surcharges on LH?

That's really easy, fly TK and get yourself something nice for lunch to bring on the flight.
I recently had to make a similar choice, but I was using Lifemiles to book which don't have any fuel surcharges so I went with LH. But for $750, no way!
Old Aug 1, 20, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zeer0 View Post
So no fuel surcharges on TK or $750 in surcharges on LH?

That's really easy, fly TK and get yourself something nice for lunch to bring on the flight.
I recently had to make a similar choice, but I was using Lifemiles to book which don't have any fuel surcharges so I went with LH. But for $750, no way!
I got lucky F came available and was worth the 1100 CAD plus 70k miles. I am happy I didnt fly TK!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: