FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A trip to Wuhan, China
View Single Post
Old Jul 2, 2020, 8:39 pm
keitherson

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
A trip to Wuhan, China (Delta One)

It's incredible how much the world can change in just one year.

Unless you've been living under a rock, Wuhan is famous now for where COVID-19 originated. But before that, Wuhan had largely been an unknown Chinese city -- a city of 11 million people, more than NYC, of course -- and largely relegated as a "Tier 2" city not attracting the international attention of Chinese cities like Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Shenzhen. Imagine if American cities had to be grouped into Tiers, and the fistfights that would break out.

How did I find myself in Wuhan, China on the 4th of July, 2019? Let's have a look. This is my first trip report I've ever done for Flyertalk, so please be patient.

Delta One Suites, Seattle to Shanghai to Los Angeles to Shanghai on the new A330-900NEO the A350-900

Sometimes plans work out, sometimes they don't. Sometimes you have to meet halfway. Armed with expiring Global Upgrade Certificates and wide open confirmable upgrade space on Delta One Suites on their new A339's, my plan was solid.

I needed to be in Vietnam to catch my Cathay First Danang fare, and the cheapest way for these peak transpacific summer fares on Delta was doing an open jaw between China and Singapore. Delta was still flying Singapore to Narita and onward last year, and I would fly nonstop to Shanghai to try their new A339.

But wait! I could save even more money with an extra flight to a city in China I don't really know? Consider me sold.

Everything was fine until the delays hit for the A339 deliveries, which also affected the inaugural. Surprisingly, having to convince Delta that an equipment change/downgrade to a 767 for a date change wasn't that difficult; trying to convince them to reroute me via LAX to maintain my Delta One Suites, maybe just a little harder. In any case, adding an extra connection to get to Wuhan for the Suite experience was worth it, as I have found the 767 seats quite uncomfortable.

Seattle to Los Angeles on DL128, B752

I'm always disappointed by breakfast meals on domestic flights. The hot breakfast sandwich was perfectly edible but I do wish the food quality was higher.

Coincidentally, DL128 is actually the continuation flight for Beijing to Los Angeles, via Seattle, which DL is using for onward travel but with a change in equipment. So one could actually read my itinerary as flying Beijing to Los Angeles to Shanghai on Delta, but I digress...

Landing into LAX is always a pleasure.

My DL flight to Shanghai is operating from TBIT! The transfer using the bus was pretty simple. For Business Class and Elites it means you have a choice of using the Delta Sky Club in T2/T3, or to use the Korean Air (also Priority Pass) lounge in TBIT. These lounges have been reviewed pretty extensively by others. I used the KE lounge, and it was perfectly acceptable for a contract/Priority Pass lounge, but not up to international Business Class standards. The liquor and booze was really low-shelf but the food has improved from the early days (there's usually a hot dish and some sushi).

Los Angeles to Shanghai on DL89, A359

The Delta Suites look nice. They are comfortable for sitting in. However, I do not find them comfortable sleeping in, mostly due to the leather seats. With the suite doors closed, it can also be a tight fit. I had issues with my door also opening/closing easily because of a broken lock mechanism.

The Delta One cabin was about half full going out.

Service on this flight was also a miss. I was scolded for requesting a drink while my suite door was closed because FA's are trained to never disturb passengers if the doors are closed.

I'll be honest -- this was one of the worst Delta Business meals I've ever had. The Chinese Meal was special ordered in case they ran out, and the starter course was absolutely inedible. The main course was also a really small portion and not filling. The midflight snack was a block of grease and the pre-arrival meal was mostly soggy noodles. I had to complain to Delta about this one.

Landing into a smoggy Shanghai, and where the fun begins.

Last edited by keitherson; Jul 2, 2020 at 10:00 pm