FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus + NH
View Single Post
Old Jun 22, 2020, 6:48 am
FlyingSloth

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The chance of Japan staying closed until well into 2021 is literally zero. While there is a reasonable chance that it will not be free for all in 2020, there will most likely be a fair amount of international traffic to Japan within 2020.
I'm basing that on what I'm reading on COVID-19 forecast charts. The second wave for the U.S and much of the world is forecast for August / September - October, and lasting through autumn and winter. If that is true, and the second wave hits as currently forecast, it seems likely Japan would not open anytime in the winter, and likely not in the winter time either.

Maybe before the 2021 Olympics if the events still are on?

Japan does not depend too much on tourism. It makes up a smaller percentage of GDP than many other countries in Asia. I also think Japan likes to be cautious especially when it comes to the COVID issue and foreigners.

Always curious to hear other viewpoints though. I love Japan and want to go back. I'm hoping I'm wrong and they open the borders soon. But I think "later in 2021" as I wrote seems to be as accurate as I can forecast based on the data. https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite...es-of-america/