FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Say goodbye to Virtual Account Numbers at Citi?
Old Jun 20, 2020, 11:33 am
LovePrunes

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
Citibank is officially phasing out the Virtual Account Numbers. New card numbers will not have the ability to enroll and all will lose the feature in the near future.
Not 100% correct
some cards Citi card products have had it retired: all the AA branded products (at the very least). I still have access to use it for creating new Virtual Account Numbers on the Cit/AT&T Universal Card, which is a free citi card.
I have the desktop version of Citi Virtual Account numbers, and it has for 90 days or so been giving me an error ("bad address profile", or something like that) if I log in with the citi user profile that includes any AA cards.

BUT

I have a separate (old) citi user ID just for that AT&T Universal citi card, and when I log into the VAN app with that userid, it works like a charm. Virtual Account Numbers are definitely still listed as an account feature, and if they were retiring them for everyone, I would think they'd 1) remove the feature from the list of features and 2) make it stop for everyone, not just certain account types.

I spent a long time with a human talking from tech support last month @ citi and they explained it was NOT going away, except for certain account types. Which is a mystery why they'd do that.