FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Easier to apply for mid-tier credit card than top-tier credit card?
Old Jun 19, 2020, 6:55 am
krazykanuck
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
Is it easier to apply for mid-tier cards like the AMEX Hilton Surpass and Citi Premier than AMEX Hilton Aspire and Citi Prestige? I seem to be having trouble getting approved for the Hilton Aspire and the Citi Prestige ...
define trouble.... If you've actually applied for both of those cards and been denied, it would be very helpful to know the reasons they gave you

From my experience and what I've seen, there's no discernable difference in underwriting criteria between mid and higher fee cards, and think about it from the banks perspective, they would probably rather sell you a higher fee card, all else being equal.

The
​​only real exception to this is with Visa cards in that Visa Infinite level cards, like the CSR, United Club card, USB AR require an initial credit limit of at least $10k while most Visas have lower minimums of $5k (Visa Signature) or lower. Amex and MasterCard have no such rules.