Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Easier to apply for mid-tier credit card than top-tier credit card?

Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

Is it easier to apply for mid-tier cards like the AMEX Hilton Surpass and Citi Premier than AMEX Hilton Aspire and Citi Prestige? I seem to be having trouble getting approved for the Hilton Aspire and the Citi Prestige even though my credit score is decent at the moment (in the 780 range across all 3 bureaus). When I got started in this hobby, I didn't planned well and I got a lot of new personal and business trade lines over the past couple of years. I haven't churned anything yet. I recognize that banks are tightening up their lending due to COVID-19. I'm starting to wonder if I'm better off applying for the Surpass and another Premier (already got one, but will probably upgrade to the Prestige at the end of the year) and then upgrade after a year? Any data points on the Hilton Surpass being easier for approval since it have less benefits than the Aspire? I also read that AMEX often have upgrade offers for the Surpass to the Aspire, but is that close enough to be a guaranteed? I know that if I upgrade without an offer, I won't be eligible for a SUB going forward. Comments?
Old Jun 19, 2020, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
Is it easier to apply for mid-tier cards like the AMEX Hilton Surpass and Citi Premier than AMEX Hilton Aspire and Citi Prestige? I seem to be having trouble getting approved for the Hilton Aspire and the Citi Prestige even though my credit score is decent at the moment (in the 780 range across all 3 bureaus). When I got started in this hobby, I didn't planned well and I got a lot of new personal and business trade lines over the past couple of years. I haven't churned anything yet. I recognize that banks are tightening up their lending due to COVID-19. I'm starting to wonder if I'm better off applying for the Surpass and another Premier (already got one, but will probably upgrade to the Prestige at the end of the year) and then upgrade after a year? Any data points on the Hilton Surpass being easier for approval since it have less benefits than the Aspire? I also read that AMEX often have upgrade offers for the Surpass to the Aspire, but is that close enough to be a guaranteed? I know that if I upgrade without an offer, I won't be eligible for a SUB going forward. Comments?
I believe youll find the effort you expend when applying for a mid tier card will be exactly the same as when applying for a top tier card. 😋
Old Jun 19, 2020, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I believe youll find the effort you expend when applying for a mid tier card will be exactly the same as when applying for a top tier card. 😋
Sigh. That's what I'm thinking. I should have planned this out much better when I started. I'm still over 5/24 with Chase at the moment.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
Is it easier to apply for mid-tier cards like the AMEX Hilton Surpass and Citi Premier than AMEX Hilton Aspire and Citi Prestige? I seem to be having trouble getting approved for the Hilton Aspire and the Citi Prestige ...
define trouble.... If you've actually applied for both of those cards and been denied, it would be very helpful to know the reasons they gave you

From my experience and what I've seen, there's no discernable difference in underwriting criteria between mid and higher fee cards, and think about it from the banks perspective, they would probably rather sell you a higher fee card, all else being equal.

The
​​only real exception to this is with Visa cards in that Visa Infinite level cards, like the CSR, United Club card, USB AR require an initial credit limit of at least $10k while most Visas have lower minimums of $5k (Visa Signature) or lower. Amex and MasterCard have no such rules.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I suspect this is more about Amex limiting new card issuance due to anticipated defaults than anything else.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 9:00 am

Is there any well defined income level that is required and scales up with the card? Given a credit score of 800ish, would someone be denied the premium card without a particular income level? Or possibly some liquid wealth requirement?
Old Jun 19, 2020, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by xooz
Is there any well defined income level that is required and scales up with the card? Given a credit score of 800ish, would someone be denied the premium card without a particular income level? Or possibly some liquid wealth requirement?
You'd think that Amex would rather issue you the Platinum card rather than the Green card given the annual fee difference, and both are charge cards.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I ended up with the Aspire this May after starting out with the no AF Hilton AMEX card, and skipped the Surpass (for now), and my credit isn't amazing, so \_(ツ)_/

Goal is to have one card available for upgrade path, no- AF->Surpass->Aspire and to collect all three card bonuses via signup AND the two card upgrade bonuses, but I am willing to be patient about it to stop the dreaded popup. I might settle on any of no-AF/Surpass/Aspire once the dust settles and I know how I will use them the next couple of years.

I look at the people doing a million in MS on Hilton Aspire/Surpass because of 12 bonuses and basically... don't want to go there (I want a long term card relationship with AMEX as long as the deal on offer is reasonable for both of us, not to burn them for SUBs and MS). Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.