FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Easier to apply for mid-tier credit card than top-tier credit card?
Old Jun 19, 2020, 4:38 am
travelinmanS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
Is it easier to apply for mid-tier cards like the AMEX Hilton Surpass and Citi Premier than AMEX Hilton Aspire and Citi Prestige? I seem to be having trouble getting approved for the Hilton Aspire and the Citi Prestige even though my credit score is decent at the moment (in the 780 range across all 3 bureaus). When I got started in this hobby, I didn't planned well and I got a lot of new personal and business trade lines over the past couple of years. I haven't churned anything yet. I recognize that banks are tightening up their lending due to COVID-19. I'm starting to wonder if I'm better off applying for the Surpass and another Premier (already got one, but will probably upgrade to the Prestige at the end of the year) and then upgrade after a year? Any data points on the Hilton Surpass being easier for approval since it have less benefits than the Aspire? I also read that AMEX often have upgrade offers for the Surpass to the Aspire, but is that close enough to be a guaranteed? I know that if I upgrade without an offer, I won't be eligible for a SUB going forward. Comments?
I believe you’ll find the effort you expend when applying for a mid tier card will be exactly the same as when applying for a top tier card. 😋