FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Maldives hotel recommendations
View Single Post
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:30 pm
escape4

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
just prior to much of the Maldives shutting down, this very specific thing was explicity forbidden (you couldn't travel between islands)
Ah thank you, I was not aware. I will keep my eyes open to make sure hotel hopping will be possible starting in July.

Originally Posted by myeurocrush
Just as an FYI, the Conrad and the WA Maldives don’t do complementary upgrades for diamond members as part of their policy “Due to the Special nature of the resort.” You have to be very lucky to get one.
I know upgrades may not happen at Hilton properties, that said I was "upgraded" at WA last year so it's not impossible (for 2019, from beach to overwater was an upgrade, but based on 2020 pricing structure it's now a downgrade!). I am ok with no upgrade though, they remain decent options because I can book with points.

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
escape4 neither of the two are points hotels but I often suggest clients to book both Cheval Blanc and Velaa as a good pairing. You can transfer between the two via speed boat. No need for planes or stopping by MLE

Side note, just booked 2 sets of clients at Joali under their amazing Virtuoso promotion which goes through Dec. 21. 40% off, half board, 3x upgrade at time of booking + Virtuoso amenity (hotel credit). Not a chain property but it's truly an amazing deal/value for the caliber of the property.
Even though my bias is towards hotel chains, I am not against trying independents because anyway elite status is extended to 2021 for all chains. If I see independents with a great promo I will pick over over a chain hotel with standard prices. Thanks for the tip about Cheval Blanc + Velaa, and the Virtuoso promo for Joali, I will research