FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Clean Care+ program
View Single Post
Old Jun 9, 2020, 9:49 am
AwardBee

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
It's unfortunate you decided not to comply. The risks of transmission are low, but the comfort provided to staff and fellow passengers can't be ignored. I also dislike wearing masks or face coverings, but decided instead to be sensitive to the needs and preferences of others and to not pick & choose which regulations I felt like obeying. I imagine enforcement would be at the discretion of the crew or prompted by passenger complaint, and would follow the same protocols of enforcement of any other airborne conflict.
The TC regulation is very clear: covering one's nose & mouth aboard aircraft is compulsory "when they cannot physically distance from others, or as directed by the airline employees". On most AC flights now, both of these apply.
On my flight the other day, I noticed that many people's masks slipped under their noses/mouths by mid flight, intentionally or not, rendering them useless. Then there was a group of guys who were sat in adjacent aisle seats over 2 rows who had masks pulled under chin, leaning into aisle and talking loudly to each other for most of the flight, which not only completely moots any potential benefit of wearing a mask but probably also disperses many droplets into the air. My observation is that the way masks are being used and enforced, they are pretty much useless, and many people probably realize it. Whether masks are actually providing anyone, whether passengers or staff, much comfort is anyone's guess.

In my case, I also have a medical condition that makes wearing a mask for extended periods of time difficult, it's not just a matter of "picking and choosing what I feel like obeying" as you suggest. I actually take offense to your wording there, which I find very passive aggressive and implies an intention behind my actions.