FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HKG-SIN to return! (cargo only initially)
Old Jun 7, 2020, 8:49 am
UA_Flyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
The other 747 would do a DEL turn I think. Pretty sure my DEL-HKG was on a 744 in the late 90s. LHR -DEL-LHR was 763.
It all depends on what period you are talking about. The RTW started when UA was still operating out of the old HK airport, and 763 were used for HKG-DEL-HKG. The 763 was flying LHR-DEL-HKG-DEL-LHR. At LHR, pending on aircraft rotation, a different 763 may be used to fly LHR-JFK-LHR.

The use of 744 on DEL-HKG-DEL did not take place until may be a year or so after UA moved to the new HK airport. As reported the overnight fee at HKG has been one of the highest in Asia, and keeping the extra 744 overnight was more expensive than operating a half-full flight to SIN, DEL or BKK. The switch was made to use the overnight 744 on HKG-DEL-HKG. This also saved cost on the having to pay for the 763 sitting in HK for almost 12 hours during the day time. The DEL-HKG arrived in the morning and did not leave until after 8 pm.

When SQ started increasing HKG-SIN flights in the evening hours, the demand for UA operated 744 HKG-SIN flight decreased. Some in this forum may remember UA replaced the HKG-SIN flight with HKG-BKK for a period of time. After discontinuing RTW, UA started HKG-SGN, and HKG-BKK was switched back to HKG-SIN.

Originally Posted by dkc192
Fine, maybe I was being somewhat selfish as *I* would prefer to use the HKG/SIN overnight flights for onward connections in Asia rather than the NRT flights. I will, say, however, that the late night departures ex-SFO (similar to UA1/UA877 normal schedules) allows for connections from all over the US. The evening returns to SFO (similar to UA28/UA878 normal schedules) are indeed not ideal for onward connections to the rest of the US.

I would not be too concerned. There are no places you can connect to in Asia at the moment unless you have a second passport or permanent resident of a jurisdiction, which allows you to enter not as an American.

As noted, the SFO-HKG-SIN is currently in the schedule for purchase in the month of July until early August. Starting early August, you will see the flight is not available, but SFO-SIN direct flight is back on. Of course, anything can change based on demand and change of travel restrictions.