FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Applying for hong kong visit visa...
View Single Post
Old Jun 4, 2020, 1:06 am
garykung
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 889
UNHCR is no longer directly involved in Refugee Status Determinations ("RSD") in Hong Kong...
I believe you misunderstand what I have said. I mentioned:

Originally Posted by garykung
What interesting is Hong Kong does not give out asylum but instead, refer qualified persons to UNHCR.
The qualified persons are the persons who have been undergone USM. Because Hong Kong does not give asylum, so even with a positive USM result, they won't stay in Hong Kong. Instead, UNHCR will still help those qualified for resettlement.

Originally Posted by 889
As well, I'm trying hard to recall any time when refugees or asylum-seekers could work in Hong Kong. Indeed, nowadays they're permitted to live in the community, while decades ago the Vietnamese boat people were locked up at places like Whitehead.
Not everyone was locked up.

AFAICT - during the boat people time, if the refugee status had been established, they would allowed to exit the camp for certain hours, and subject to a curfew. They would be able to work in Hong Kong while waiting for resettlement. Also - even nowadays, the Immigration Department will exercise discretion to those status have been established.

Seekers, on the other hand, are in different fates. Hong Kong never allowed seekers to work.