FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How do you feel (safety) with JAL's 787 fleet? 787-9s and 787-8s?
Old Jun 2, 2020, 9:51 am
rontse

Originally Posted by FlyingSloth
Thank you for your reply. I double-checked.. but for NRT->SEA I'm still seeing that it is operated by 787-8s. Can you please check again?

That's interesting. I read on an article that some of JAL's 787-9s use Trent-1000s: https://simpleflying.com/japan-airlines-787-door-seal/

Apparently even the GE engines on the 787s were found to have issues, in some cases, with the turbine blades wearing faster than expected, but I guess the issue is not as bad as with the Trent-1000 engines.
Sorry, didn’t realise you want to fly in July! JAL is operating the 787s till Oct, looks like then they swap it to 767s from Nov onward.

JAL definitely only has GE engines on their 787s, both -8 and -9. Their website confirms that. The author of that article may have got it wrong. Anyway, both Trent1000 and GEnx have there own problems, but like everyone says, it’s perfectly safe to fly on these aircraft and they are nice on fly on too!