FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Scam phone number similar to 1K line
View Single Post
Old May 29, 2020, 11:41 am
docbert

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Scam phone number similar to 1K line

While setting up a new cell service this morning I dialed a test call to the United 1K number (a great test number, as it'll confirm caller-id is working if Hal knows who you are!). However I screwed up and dialed 1-888 rather than 1-800.

What I was connected to was clearly a scam made to sound similar to United's menu. Obviously it didn't recognize me, but gave a welcome to "flight reservations" in a similar tone to the United message, and gave the the options of 1 for flight status, 2 for new bookings, or 3 for other inquiries. I picked 1, at which point it told me that this number was only for new bookings and hung up on me.

Attempting to call back fed me into a scam number for medical alert bracelets ("We have a special today for people over 50. Press 1 if you're over 50, 2 if not"), and then calling again from the same number gives a message about the number not being available in my region.

Dialing from a new number gave the exact same series of 3 calls (flight reservations/special for over 50s/not available).

Obviously these things aren't new, but worth keeping in mind...