Scam phone number similar to 1K line

Old May 29, 2020, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Scam phone number similar to 1K line

While setting up a new cell service this morning I dialed a test call to the United 1K number (a great test number, as it'll confirm caller-id is working if Hal knows who you are!). However I screwed up and dialed 1-888 rather than 1-800.

What I was connected to was clearly a scam made to sound similar to United's menu. Obviously it didn't recognize me, but gave a welcome to "flight reservations" in a similar tone to the United message, and gave the the options of 1 for flight status, 2 for new bookings, or 3 for other inquiries. I picked 1, at which point it told me that this number was only for new bookings and hung up on me.

Attempting to call back fed me into a scam number for medical alert bracelets ("We have a special today for people over 50. Press 1 if you're over 50, 2 if not"), and then calling again from the same number gives a message about the number not being available in my region.

Dialing from a new number gave the exact same series of 3 calls (flight reservations/special for over 50s/not available).

Obviously these things aren't new, but worth keeping in mind...
Old May 29, 2020, 12:17 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert
While setting up a new cell service this morning I dialed a test call to the United 1K number (a great test number, as it'll confirm caller-id is working if Hal knows who you are!). However I screwed up and dialed 1-888 rather than 1-800.

What I was connected to was clearly a scam made to sound similar to United's menu. Obviously it didn't recognize me, but gave a welcome to "flight reservations" in a similar tone to the United message, and gave the the options of 1 for flight status, 2 for new bookings, or 3 for other inquiries. I picked 1, at which point it told me that this number was only for new bookings and hung up on me.

Attempting to call back fed me into a scam number for medical alert bracelets ("We have a special today for people over 50. Press 1 if you're over 50, 2 if not"), and then calling again from the same number gives a message about the number not being available in my region.

Dialing from a new number gave the exact same series of 3 calls (flight reservations/special for over 50s/not available).

Obviously these things aren't new, but worth keeping in mind...
I dial 1-800 instead of 1-888 sometimes and get those sorts of things now and again.

At least you didn't dial 1-900 instead of 1-800 . . .
DELee likes this.
Old May 29, 2020, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Scammed by a fake UA call center {Consoldiated}

I needed help. I think I got scammed (not by United)
Old May 29, 2020, 9:24 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I’ll close this so we can keep discussion to the threads kindly provided above.

l etoile
UA moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.