FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA fleet developments: unconfirmed updates, speculation, and general discussion
Old May 25, 2020, 2:27 pm
gliderpilot

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by BAeuro
I always thought the 4 MidHaul A321s should have been replaced by some A321neos. It would really reduce fuel consumption on these routes.

As for the A321LR I just don’t think it fits with BA’s model. It is designed to link second tier airports which wouldn’t be able to sustain a widebody. BA have shown they can make thinner routes work with the 787-8 and any fewer seats probably raises questions. LHR is (was) short on slots so you want to have the biggest aircraft as that’s the only way to get extra seats. No need to waste a slot on an A321LR when you can use a 777 and get more money flying somewhere else.

I guess post-COVID19 some routes could probably work with a A321LR though - Pittsburgh and Charleston spring to mind as well as the current MidHaul destinations.
You've also got the cargo revenue to think about. Even if the aircraft isn't completely full of pax, with a widebody there is plenty of space for additional hold cargo which will can keep the flight in overall profit.