FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More kiosks check-in & self tagged?
View Single Post
Old May 25, 2020, 6:36 am
cre95

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
DL at MSP did have the self-tag kiosks for a couple of years but removed them a few months ago. I don’t know what factors led to that decision.
I endorse self-service to the extent it really works. Otherwise, I tend to skip it all together.

On the Delta front, I would be fine doing the whole "self" check-in, print or electronic boarding pass, luggage tags, etc. if one can then just drop the bag off at a counter. But it truly needs to be a drop-off easy event. In the current setting, you still have to go through a line where there have been just a few agents (with many stations empty) processing each person. They still ask for ID, type away at their keyboards, chat with every other agent that gets within 6 feet of them, etc. and the line extends through the whole area. Not what I would envision as efficient / self-service. When I don't have bags, I self-service and skip counters & kiosks and head straight to security.

As another example, look at Marriott's mobile check-in. I have not had a single instance where I get a mobile key. In every instance I've tried it, you still need to go to the check-in counter to check-in and get your key. I thus skip the process and do regular check-in. I know many folk speculate whether you get a better or worse room by doing mobile check-in. I don't have any knowledge of how this may impact room assignment but I've read the theories that pitch it both ways. In any instance, from a self-service aspect, it doesn't provide the benefit to me and thus I skip it.