More kiosks check-in & self tagged?

Old May 23, 20, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
More kiosks check-in & self tagged?

I was wondered if DL wants to installed more kiosks check-in and self tagged bags. They don't have wait for agent to tagged the bags. Will they ever consider it? Can they expanded more kiosks check-in and self tagged? Same as American Airlines. I knows some airports who does not have self tagged.

Any ideas? Any suggestions?
Old May 23, 20, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
I was wondered if DL wants to installed more kiosks check-in and self tagged bags. They don't have wait for agent to tagged the bags. Will they ever consider it? Can they expanded more kiosks check-in and self tagged? Same as American Airlines. I knows some airports who does not have self tagged.

Any ideas? Any suggestions?
I don’t know why DL hasn’t really tried to widely adapt to self bag tagging kiosk up to this point. DL seems to be the only airline out of the big 4 that doesn’t have them available at least in some of their larger airports as I know AA, WN, and UA have it available. I believe DL piloted a self tag kiosk that involved biometrics at MSP a few years back (not sure if they still have these) but perhaps they could expand this technology to more airports. UA is piloting a new “touchless” kiosk mode at some of their hub airports over the next few weeks. https://paxex.aero/2020/05/united-ai...uchless-kiosk/
Old May 23, 20, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL PM
While I fly AS on occasion, I'm not a huge fan of their self-tag kiosks. I've yet to find a way to get both a paper BP and a bag tag in one transaction if you have already checked in online. You have to do 2 transactions.

With DL's infamous IT, I'm afraid the self-tag kiosks could end up tagging baggage to an intermediate stop and not the final destination (especially on longer connections). On more than one occasion I've had to push the bag agent to manually change the bag destination when the computer doesn't like a long connection. The average traveler probably isn't looking at those tags and could easily miss it.

I guess too I like a little bit of the "classic" approach having an agent tag your bag. Something about a self-tag screams LCC to me. Although with DL's recent excessive cabin service downgrade it would be par for the course.
ryw and ryandc99 like this.
Old May 24, 20, 8:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post
I donít know why DL hasnít really tried to widely adapt to self bag tagging kiosk up to this point. DL seems to be the only airline out of the big 4 that doesnít have them available at least in some of their larger airports as I know AA, WN, and UA have it available. I believe DL piloted a self tag kiosk that involved biometrics at MSP a few years back (not sure if they still have these) but perhaps they could expand this technology to more airports. UA is piloting a new ďtouchlessĒ kiosk mode at some of their hub airports over the next few weeks. https://paxex.aero/2020/05/united-ai...uchless-kiosk/
DL at MSP did have the self-tag kiosks for a couple of years but removed them a few months ago. I donít know what factors led to that decision.
Old May 25, 20, 6:36 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by CarmenOM View Post
DL at MSP did have the self-tag kiosks for a couple of years but removed them a few months ago. I donít know what factors led to that decision.
I endorse self-service to the extent it really works. Otherwise, I tend to skip it all together.

On the Delta front, I would be fine doing the whole "self" check-in, print or electronic boarding pass, luggage tags, etc. if one can then just drop the bag off at a counter. But it truly needs to be a drop-off easy event. In the current setting, you still have to go through a line where there have been just a few agents (with many stations empty) processing each person. They still ask for ID, type away at their keyboards, chat with every other agent that gets within 6 feet of them, etc. and the line extends through the whole area. Not what I would envision as efficient / self-service. When I don't have bags, I self-service and skip counters & kiosks and head straight to security.

As another example, look at Marriott's mobile check-in. I have not had a single instance where I get a mobile key. In every instance I've tried it, you still need to go to the check-in counter to check-in and get your key. I thus skip the process and do regular check-in. I know many folk speculate whether you get a better or worse room by doing mobile check-in. I don't have any knowledge of how this may impact room assignment but I've read the theories that pitch it both ways. In any instance, from a self-service aspect, it doesn't provide the benefit to me and thus I skip it.
GagaPilot likes this.
Old May 25, 20, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cre95 View Post
I endorse self-service to the extent it really works. Otherwise, I tend to skip it all together.

On the Delta front, I would be fine doing the whole "self" check-in, print or electronic boarding pass, luggage tags, etc. if one can then just drop the bag off at a counter. But it truly needs to be a drop-off easy event. In the current setting, you still have to go through a line where there have been just a few agents (with many stations empty) processing each person. They still ask for ID, type away at their keyboards, chat with every other agent that gets within 6 feet of them, etc. and the line extends through the whole area. Not what I would envision as efficient / self-service. When I don't have bags, I self-service and skip counters & kiosks and head straight to security.

As another example, look at Marriott's mobile check-in. I have not had a single instance where I get a mobile key. In every instance I've tried it, you still need to go to the check-in counter to check-in and get your key. I thus skip the process and do regular check-in. I know many folk speculate whether you get a better or worse room by doing mobile check-in. I don't have any knowledge of how this may impact room assignment but I've read the theories that pitch it both ways. In any instance, from a self-service aspect, it doesn't provide the benefit to me and thus I skip it.
I fully agree with this. Everytime I goto fly with AA/UA i find it quicker to get in line for an actual agent, have them tag it and go on my way. I'm one who loves self service. However the way most airlines do it, it doesn't save time/takes longer.

AFA Marriott, they've always had this issue. Hilton has been way ahead for years. You can get a map from which you can select your exact room even from their app. Also, a long as there's no requirement for checkin to see an ID (ie China, or for rate purposes) you get a digital key once room is marked ready for checkin.
Old May 30, 20, 10:04 am

Programs: DL PM/MM (lost DM 2020) , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Tolerater, AA Hater
Originally Posted by cre95 View Post

I've given up on Marriott was well.

About 3 years ago, checking in for an EK flight in DXB, I arrived early to deal with the normal long waits only find a self service bag check that was being piloted. It worked really well and I was on my way in 2 minutes; now I'm early but that's ok, more time in the lounge.

A few months later, I show up expecting to see it again, guess what? Gone. Not sure why they abandoned it. Then waited in line for 45 minutes to drop a bag, already had online BP. Line moved super slow, agents ignoring everyone and looking at their phones, etc.
Old May 30, 20, 7:18 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I really enjoy Southwest's self tag experience. It is quick and intuitive and saves a lot of time during busy times.
I am sure Delta could implement it easily if it was a priority for them. Honestly, if you're someone who is super worried about germs, self tagging bags is actually more exposure because you're touching the kiosk as opposed to just handing your ID to the agent and putting your bag on the scale.
Old May 31, 20, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ATLflyer2017 View Post
I really enjoy Southwest's self tag experience. It is quick and intuitive and saves a lot of time during busy times.
I am sure Delta could implement it easily if it was a priority for them. Honestly, if you're someone who is super worried about germs, self tagging bags is actually more exposure because you're touching the kiosk as opposed to just handing your ID to the agent and putting your bag on the scale.
UA is installing touchless kiosks. I'm not sure how that actually works in practice though as never used one.
Old May 31, 20, 10:59 am

Programs: Delta PM/2.8 MM; Hertz PC; Amtrak Guest Rewards; Marriott Rewards Silver
This Would Be Perfect for DCA

At DCA after you check bags with a counter agent you have to take them over to the TSA screening area to the right of Delta's ticket counter (this is not the case at either BWI or IAD, where Delta staff take care of your bags after checking in). Having a kiosk that would allow one to self-tag his or her bag would be a real time saver.
Old Jun 1, 20, 10:28 am

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by GagaPilot View Post
While I fly AS on occasion, I'm not a huge fan of their self-tag kiosks. I've yet to find a way to get both a paper BP and a bag tag in one transaction if you have already checked in online. You have to do 2 transactions.

With DL's infamous IT, I'm afraid the self-tag kiosks could end up tagging baggage to an intermediate stop and not the final destination (especially on longer connections). On more than one occasion I've had to push the bag agent to manually change the bag destination when the computer doesn't like a long connection. The average traveler probably isn't looking at those tags and could easily miss it.

I guess too I like a little bit of the "classic" approach having an agent tag your bag. Something about a self-tag screams LCC to me. Although with DL's recent excessive cabin service downgrade it would be par for the course.
The short-checking could be an issue, but there would still be full-service options available. My hope would be that if most customers are able to use self-tagging, the lines for full-service would be shorter.

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
I fully agree with this. Everytime I goto fly with AA/UA i find it quicker to get in line for an actual agent, have them tag it and go on my way. I'm one who loves self service. However the way most airlines do it, it doesn't save time/takes longer.

AFA Marriott, they've always had this issue. Hilton has been way ahead for years. You can get a map from which you can select your exact room even from their app. Also, a long as there's no requirement for checkin to see an ID (ie China, or for rate purposes) you get a digital key once room is marked ready for checkin.
I don't have much experience with UA, but I agree on AA. It doesn't seem to speed up the process as much as one would expect. I usually use the priority lane with them. Where I have found it very useful is flying WN. The agent takes a quick look to confirm the name on the ID and bag tag match and tosses the bag on the belt.
Old Jun 1, 20, 11:02 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ATLflyer2017 View Post
I donít fly WN very much at all, but based on personal observations when walking by their ticket counter in MCO, the self tagging has helped tremendously. Before WN put in their self tag kiosk at MCO, their check-in lines would often extend well into the lobby area and sometimes it would back up into the Hyatt Atrium during peak hours. Now that theyíve installed their new kiosk a few years back, I havenít ever seen the lines they use to have before they installed the kiosk. Pre-COVID of course, the DL check in lines for both SP and regular bag drop (especially in the morning) were terrible at MCO. When flying out of MCO, I would have to give myself an extra 20 mins due to the long lines DL has at MCO. Iíd love it if DL could also add self-tagging kiosk as they do indeed work based upon results with other airlines.
Old Jun 1, 20, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ND76 View Post
At DCA after you check bags with a counter agent you have to take them over to the TSA screening area to the right of Delta's ticket counter (this is not the case at either BWI or IAD, where Delta staff take care of your bags after checking in). Having a kiosk that would allow one to self-tag his or her bag would be a real time saver.
I knows they don't have inline baggage screening system at DCA airport. TSA should have install inline baggage screening system. They won't need go to screening area anymore.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: