FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Kettle One Fly for Life Pass
View Single Post
Old May 24, 2020, 2:30 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
I am surprised there's not more cash generation right now via gift cards and say Membership Rewards transfer bonuses. (Citi TR also doesn't have any transfer bonuses) so that the airlines can any kind of revenue. (Not sure how that accounting is though, since of course miles are also a liability, until the ticket is booked or travelled??)
DL and UA have supposedly been in talks with Amex and Chase respectively about pre-selling a large block of miles for an attractive price. If the price is right, Amex/DL may offer a transfer bonus. I am not sure whether these usually come from the bank or from the airline or a combination of the two; obviously DL's motivation is to raise as much cash as possible from that relationship.

I think the concept of selling lifetime lounge memberships would also not be out of the question, probably for about $5,000 or so. One of the issues is that once someone has a lifetime membership, a lot of the ancillary revenue opportunities (annual membership, Amex Platinum card, Delta Reserve card) become tougher to sell to that person, which in terms of lifetime value for the customer are likely higher.

I would also expect to see some aggressive offers to buy MQMs/MQDs at the end of the year, or possibly to outright buy status. It's likely worth it to DL to to annoy the elites that earned it for a year to raise some cash and stay alive.

Offering a value-bonus or a bonus in miles for buying a gift card now would not be crazy either; there might have to be some limits so that you don't turn around and buy a flight with it right away though.