Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kettle One Fly for Life Pass

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2020, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Kettle One Fly for Life Pass

How long until Delta introduces a lifetime ticket ala AAirpass ?
https://thehustle.co/aairpass-americ...fetime-ticket/
Old May 13, 2020, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL DM
I’d consider it if I could afford it. But would definitely consult a lawyer first. It makes sense (at least in the short term) from a business perspective. Shame on AA for not honoring them, or at least making the terms a bit stricter.
Old May 13, 2020, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
What an idea!?!?! But not well thought out and implemented.

Even at half a million in 2018 dollars, it would make no sense. You don't have to abuse the pass by selling a seat or 'overbooking,' but let's say you live in LA and fly to London or Paris once a week and to New York or Miami once a week, you could definitely get to a million dollars a year in airfare. Who would sell that for a one-time fee of half a million? Even if you did those two trips once a month instead, you would get your half a million dollar investment back in less than three years, much less fly for a lifetime!
Old May 14, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
Wasn't Mark Cuban one of those people too?
ryandc99 likes this.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
You'd be better off buying a Netjets package.
Old May 14, 2020, 9:02 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CloneCones
Wasn't Mark Cuban one of those people too?
Indeed he was:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/20/mark...-aairpass.html
Old May 14, 2020, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
I’d consider it if I could afford it. But would definitely consult a lawyer first. It makes sense (at least in the short term) from a business perspective. Shame on AA for not honoring them, or at least making the terms a bit stricter.
It is not only "only as good as the contract" but if you don't know what could happen to contracts in a Chapter 11 Bankruptcy (reorganization), you also don't know that it isn't even as good as the contract. Just because the airline might still be called Delta after bankruptcy proceedings doesn't mean it is the same company. It just looks like it to us from the outside. Same lipstick, different pig. Your lifetime flights may not be part of the new pig's trough.
MSPeconomist, strickerj and hi55us like this.
Old May 14, 2020, 9:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It is not only "only as good as the contract" but if you don't know what could happen to contracts in a Chapter 11 Bankruptcy (reorganization), you also don't know that it isn't even as good as the contract. Just because the airline might still be called Delta after bankruptcy proceedings doesn't mean it is the same company. It just looks like it to us from the outside. Same lipstick, different pig. Your lifetime flights may not be part of the new pig's trough.
All great points. You would also have no idea what kind of long-term service levels would be maintained to your home airport and the cities you most often travel to.
Old May 14, 2020, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Something that is not and will not be worth spending on with all of the various ways airlines could weasel out of it, including risks of bankruptcy.
Old May 14, 2020, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Seems more likely they’d offer lifetime SkyClub memberships.

Those make a fair bit of sense too. Liquidity and you can roughly guess how frequently they’ll use it.

Plus the new language would likely require DL flights which would in turn incentivize a DL traveler to continue with DL given the lifetime SkyClub investment.
MSPeconomist and hi55us like this.
Old May 15, 2020, 5:59 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
AAirpass. That's good for a loller. Best part of that article is that they did that because AA was in dire straights after losing 87m in a year. Right about know they're prob losing about 87m about every two days...
Old May 15, 2020, 6:54 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Lifetime SkyClub or Lifetime flying pass pricing should be based on age. "Statistically" someone 30 yrs old is going to use the perk(s) much more than a 60 yr old flyer.
For SkyClub:, now an AMEX PLAT CARD (<$600, with incentives, much less net) gets SC + Centurion Lounges without a significant "upfront" cash outlay, I don't see a Lifetime SC pass being a good deal for a passenger; will a SC Pass survive future bankruptcies?
Old May 15, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
Originally Posted by nrr
Lifetime SkyClub or Lifetime flying pass pricing should be based on age. "Statistically" someone 30 yrs old is going to use the perk(s) much more than a 60 yr old flyer.
For SkyClub:, now an AMEX PLAT CARD (<$600, with incentives, much less net) gets SC + Centurion Lounges without a significant "upfront" cash outlay, I don't see a Lifetime SC pass being a good deal for a passenger; will a SC Pass survive future bankruptcies?
Should test us for smoking to lower the price too. Maybe a higher price for heavy alcohol users to help save on those costs for infinite flights. You'd open a whole can of worms doing an age based price.

What I could see happening is something like JetBlue did in the last recession, unlimited flights for a month. They did it for 499 I believe. Would probably be closer to 799 nowadays I'm sure and if Delta did it, would be limited to Lower 48/Canada.
Old May 15, 2020, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC AC offers a flight pass with prices based on what regions are covered. I think they last for about six months.
Old May 16, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I don't think we will see lifetime passes. But, I could see Delta try to offer an "annual" or "monthly" subscription for unlimited travel within certain regions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.