FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Covid19: Lufthansa requires face masks [May 2020-September 2022]
Old May 23, 2020, 6:20 am
kai.lileboo

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
Originally Posted by radonc1
Avoiding the question of a German State Airline's inability to translate their German written policy into concise English and going to the other question of protecting health.....

I suspect that LH wants to be able to get passengers into their planes and seated in as rapid a manner as possible to avoid people commingling inside the plane.
If fewer passengers are placing smaller items above them prior to seating, thereby making the seating process less complicated and therefore faster, then they have accomplished their goal by limiting the size and number of items allowed on board. I suspect that this policy could be bundled with rear to front boarding as well.

Whether this has any actual benefit on the ability to avoid infection by transmission is a debatable point, but imo, anything that decreases viral transmission (masks, spacing and decreasing time in crowded environments) is probably a good thing.
For speedy boarding, the best thing Lh could do is boarding by rows. That would allow that pax don't crawl above each other and would stop mixing too many people at the same time. LH hasn't done this until now. For example KLM boarded by rows since 2013 and they took only 11min to board the full capacity of 739 which is 191 people.
In my opinion the good boarding process would be:
1. Wchr and babies
2. Rows 25-35 or beyond
3. Rows 15- 25
3. Eco up to 15
4. Hon, Sen (normally seated between 5 and 10
5. Business