FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)
Old May 20, 2020, 6:23 pm
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by freed0m
Maybe let's say this way. I have a planned trip. ORD-BKK for next March. I can choose to book it now as CX awards, ORD-HKG-BKK. Next March, CX cancels ORD-HKG.

1. CX does nothing or protects me with transfer I don't like, I can cancel the awards for $12.5 with $125 cancellation fee waiver. Cancellation fee waiver is important and everyone who has it now being MVPG and above, still has it next March as AS has extended elite status for a year.
CX can’t protect you on an AS ticket if they drop service to ORD, they don’t get to touch the ticket until day of flight (it’s AS’s ticket, not CX’s) and they also can’t just yank AS or AA space to do with as they please. AS isn’t going to put AA and CX on the same ticket.

Odds are VERY good that CX is just going to cut service to a bunch of US destinations and frequencies, and switch from 77Ws to A350s with no F cabins, well in advance of March. At which point you get to fix the itinerary (which may turn into some clunky ORD-SEA-LAX-HKG-BKK with an overnight in SEA or LAX, enjoy your hotel stay) or refund. If you don’t mind playing a lottery ticket that’s fine, but normal human beings who don’t live on FT probably don’t want their 20 hours of flying to turn into 30-40. If you’re doing a two week vacation in Thailand and your flights to get there and back are now going to be 3-4 days of that, it might discourage you. Not all of us are travel blogger digital nomads...