FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)
Old May 19, 2020, 8:30 pm
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by freed0m
The primary motive is to lock N.A. to HKG for CX. Whether you are based in Asia or US, it is not that different. I am fine with taking economy, even budget airlines within Asia.
Yes, but what if you’re looking at ORD and CX decides they’re not restarting service there anytime soon, and your AS legs are something requiring overnights through SEA? I would imagine NYC/LAX/SFO/YVR are safest, but anywhere where CX is at 1x daily or less is very likely at serious risk of not coming back anytime soon if it’s December 2020 and traffic to HKG is somewhere around 10-30% of what it once was. And I don’t think that’s unreasonable: my Fortune 500 multinational has basically kissed off business travel and conferences for 2020. CX isn’t going to restart their network for a bunch of AS miles redemptions.

If you have infinite flexibility and don’t mind turning these into multi-day treks... I suppose.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 19, 2020 at 8:37 pm