FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]
Old May 19, 2020, 8:08 am
AJA_

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I just applied for a QR status match because of my Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles Elite Plus status, if approved and my status matched to QRPC Platinum ( Emerald ), I would stick with them for a while and according to my calculations, with my current reservations, I would maintain Emerald status until May 2022. Depending on the situation, I might shift back to BAEC later on.

With my current flying pattern, BA Gold/Silver would have no other benefit that QR Platinum does not have and the latter would be easier to maintain with the 50% reduced offer to maintain status.
I think the above is exactly why BA needs to do something now rather than later. If you have the means to achieve status in another OW airline FF scheme why would you remain loyal to and fly BA? If you are successful in getting the status match, and I hope you are, then why would you bother even booking anything with a BA flight number as you're going to get the benefits of their lounges and ground services via the other OW airline? You even said it yourself "I might shift back to BAEC later on". Why bother? It would make more sense to retain status via QR.

The irony is that BA may find more passengers using their lounges are FF members of OW airlines than the BAEC. I don't discount the possibility that BA is actually willing to do this as a means of reducing numbers in its own BAEC scheme and as a means of culling the numbers using its lounges in this post Covid-19 world. But it seems contrary to the idea of using BAEC as a means to generate business for BA.

For those saying it doesn't matter what BA is or isn't doing today because we aren't flying anywhere anyway I think this is short-sighted. What other airlines are doing today is generating goodwill in return for generating future revenue. You need to earn the TP each year to retain status but you also use your status for the benefits offered from the scheme. If you've lost the ability to use the benefits (see also the discussions on cancelling Amex Platinum cards) you're less likely to use BA again if you're not able to fly enough to retain status. I have the distinct feeling BA is only looking at the scheme from a London centric point of view but there are many who do not live near London who appreciate flying on BA. If they are snubbed by BAEC its a massive assumption to make that they will fly BA anyway.