FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Transfer bonuses
View Single Post
Old May 17, 2020, 9:46 am
Biscoff27

Programs: DL DM
On one hand, I am a little concerned about the lack of transfer bonuses so far this year with Citi. Last year Citi had 6 transfer bonuses, and in May started their third. When Citi allowed the Double Cash earnings to be converted to TYP, most people thought it brought extra value to the TYP program (easier to accumulate points on everyday spend). I wondered whether there would be a devaluation to balance it out. Was slowing down or stopping transfer bonuses a subtle way to do devalue the program?

At the same time, given the current pandemic, if Citi were to offer a transfer bonus right now, I think people would ask "why now?". Most people are hesitant to speculatively transfer points, though I have when transfer bonuses are offered to the right program. All airlines are struggling right now, but if you look at the programs Citi has offered bonuses to, some (Avianca and Virgin Atlantic) are particularly at risk. I think people would be hesitant to transfer to these (even if the programs are technically separate entities to the airlines).

Are you looking to cancel the Premier or Prestige? For the Premier, there have been some great retention offers. I was considering dropping mine, but was offered $95 after $95 spent, basically waiving the annual fee.