FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - COVID-19: AF/KL rebooking/refund policy
View Single Post
Old May 16, 2020, 8:10 am
Jonathan Ppang

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by jamestg
Hi there I rebooked a cancelled June trip to Tokyo for September, but I am now worried if AF doesn't cancel the flights despite restrictions continuing for Japan (i.e. 14 day quarantine). What would happen as the trip is only 7 days so it's not even possible to fulfil the 14 day quarantine?

It may have been silly to rebook, but I was really very limited with choice a few weeks ago. Taking the voucher wasn't an option in case they went bust, since as a student losing £800 is a huge amount for me. Also even in the case they are able to resume flights, the voucher value would almost certainly not stretch as far as Tokyo when flight prices increase.

I almost feel scammed out of my money, with any option being a potential loss. Even more so now with their latests changes to refunds...
I would hold my cards here. Odds are the situation will change and you can enjoy your trip or the airline will cancel the flight as it would non-profitable. In the latter case, you could push for a cash refund.

What I definitely wouldn't do is cancel before the airline does. The reality is that a flag carrier like KLM is unlikely to go bankrupt, the government will have to support it.