FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United buys stake in biometric screening firm CLEAR, discounts for MP & CC members
Old May 15, 2020, 9:55 am
nmenaker

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by narvik
CLEAR was just up-and-coming in this second attempt at propagation throughout US airports.
How can they survive COVID-19?
well, apparently they are going to try and enter or drive the market for 'covid healthcare credentials' or authorizations for things like travel, or work entry or some other. I see essentially no chance that that happens. They are not doing testing, and they want to offer/enable some in app ability for a user/flyer/customer to be able to enter in test results, and they could capture/track things like temperature at the points of identity validation. Its a HUGE stretch and I don't really forsee it happening at all by a stand alone entity such as this. The only thing that makes sense about it is that they are going to need $$ to survive and they might be able to spin this into more PE capital or possibly govt. funds. I doubt the airlines are going to be putting more $$ in at this point, with travel probably going to be down probably at least 50% even at the end of the year, and possibly even longer. IATA and other industry analysts say travel won't recover to 2019 levels for probably 3.5 years.