FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Ritz-Carlton Maldives, Fari Islands [Master Thread]
Old May 14, 2020, 9:06 am
UKTraveller4Fun

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by Dn10
How bad is COVID in the Maldives? Can people still work (construction jobs) or is everything at a halt?

Was supposed to open later this year, so mid to late 2021 seems like a reasonable estimate if they're shutting down construction for ~3-4+ months
I dont think there have been many cases but it was locked down in March and only recently have a few measures been lifted, but certainly I cannot imagine construction will have been going on.

Also resorts in the Maldives rarely open as scheduled combined with the fact that a lot of the building materials / fitting out of a hotel comes from China which is only just getting back upto speed I would imagine there will be serious delays. The other major factor to consider is what the actual tourist levels will be over the next 12 months and if they decide its even a good time to open, certainly I would imagine they will be looking to get things done at the cheapest overall cost rather than spending more to get work completed ontime and in a hurry.