FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Are buffets in the restaurants and lounges a thing of the past????
Old May 13, 2020, 11:19 am
ALARISstl

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by clarkef
That's a $100 when you count the other costs associated with having an employee. Over the course of a year, that's 36K if the buffet is open daily, 25K if it's only weekdays. In CA, with a minimum wage of $15 in the urban areas, I would assume the salary is $20/hr, that's $30/hr or $150 for five hour shift. That's 54K annually if the Lounge is open daily and 37.5K if the lounge is a weekday only lounge. Of course, these are very rough numbers.

That doesn't even include the logistics. In smaller hotels with smaller loungers the self serve buffet abuts the wall. There often isn't enough space to bring it forward so someone can stand behind. And of course, I doubt if one person if sufficient to serve the entire buffet. Just some thoughts.
Consider though the logistics and cost involved of providing pre-packaged buffet food. An employee would have to spend time assembling the packages (main courses, cheese&crackers, veggies, dips, desserts etc.) The cost of the containers, disposable utensils, condiments, carry-out bags. I would imagine it would be scaled down and resemble the brown paper take-out bags you see for breakfast at Hampton Inns. If that were the case, I would just skip it and head elsewhere. One things for certain, traveling will look much different than what we all are accustomed to and not in a good way. This all really sucks!