FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AY Cancelling "most" Flights April 1 onwards. Refunds?
Old May 12, 2020, 10:32 pm
puckstop

Programs: AA Gold
Refund Request Update: After 8 weeks I contacted Finnair via phone and spoke with an incredibly helpful customer service representative. I informed him of the refund request and the age (8 weeks, 2 days), and he immediately stepped up and escalated the request to the Finnair home office and confirmed so by email to me during our call. He even followed up the next day by email to confirm that the refund would be processed ASAP and the funds available sometime later this week.

It's been 3+ days since I called and have not yet seen a refund post to my credit card account, so I started a chat session with a CSR online. The representative confirmed that my refund was processed the day after my phone call but could take 2-3 days to post.

Originally Posted by _ra_
The "refund department" seems to be all kinds of messed up, and seemingly was already before the COVID overload. I have an open refund request that has its four-month anniversary today. The email from January confirms that I am entitled to a refund and says it will be processed in seven days. This was related to a missed connection and an involuntary downgrade on the rebooking, so figuring out the exact refund amount won't be completely straightforward, but one would hope there's a process for that and someone just need to plug in the numbers.

Any ideas about what (if anything) I could do to get this to a conclusion, other than keep emailing them? Chargeback is obviously not an option as this is not a straight up cancellation case.
_ra_: I would recommend that you call them directly to discuss the situation and note the delay of the refund request. If you or your flight were based in the US the Department of Transportation has said that "prompt refunds" should typically take 7 days but are giving some relief due to the unprecedented volume of refunds being processed. A complaint can be files with the US DOT, and enforcement action can take place if they deem the issue to warrant such action.